I got the plate filter now how do I use it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoe22

Reaction score
I got a plate filter for a hbt member to filter hard cider. The problem is I have no idea on what to to. Any and all help is welcomed.

I got a plate filter for a hbt member to filter hard cider. The problem is I have no idea on what to to. Any and all help is welcomed.
What type of plate filter?
Any pics?
Like this one?
PlateFilterQ73.jpg

dotnetdotcom I type too slow
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yes the one in the picture is the filter. Any advice on how to use it. I will be filtering the cider this weekend.

Yes the one in the picture is the filter. Any advice on how to use it. I will be filtering the cider this weekend.

Good luck dude. Mine's a PITA.......
I assume you have 2 kegs and co2 or you would not have ordered it. Put the cider in one sanitized corney. connect the filter to the out post, then connect the output to the out post of the second corney which has been flushed with co2. Connect the co2 to the in post of the first corney and crank on about 3 lbs. When nothing is moving, crank up some more etc. Don't seal the second corney 'til you're done....

Some additional info.
Here are some steps you can follow with pics.
I will list even the common sense once.:D
To filter your cider you can use a pump or CO2.

1. Remove filter pads from Austin Homebrew Supply package;)
Each pad has a rough and a smooth side, very important

100_0954-1.jpg

2. Wet outer edged of pad (Optional)

100_0951-1.jpg

3. Install pads as shown
Rough sides must face into the filter housing or center ring

100_0953-1.jpg

4. Close and secure housing

BeerFilter_Guide_Rods1-1.jpg

5. Run a small amount of sanitizer through the filter and let sit for 15 minutes (Optional)
100_0956-1.jpg
100_0958-1.jpg

6. Connect CO2 and blowout all the sanitizer
7. Connect the filter IN to the supply tank (beer, cider, etc.)
In my setup
100_0967-1.jpg

8. Connect the filter OUT to the receiving tank, container, etc.
If you filter carbonated liquids you must do a counter pressure filling,
receiving tank must be pressurized

100_0969-1.jpg

9. Connect CO2 to the tank if transferring with CO2 to push the cider into
the filter.
Don't exceed 5 psi for your setup
If using a pump, insert the suction line into tank, container, etc. and
connect the pump out to the filter IN and enjoy filtering.

If not clear let me know.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Thanks for the great tutorial. The pad positioning realy helped. I filtered the cider it cam out perfect. Thank You

I got the same filter swetup, and love it!

Now the next question is does anyone have a source for the filters themselves, under the $1.50 that most places charge? I'd be willing to buy 50 to 100 at a time if the price dropped to 75 cents or less.

Cheers

Lucas

I got the same filter swetup, and love it!

Now the next question is does anyone have a source for the filters themselves, under the $1.50 that most places charge? I'd be willing to buy 50 to 100 at a time if the price dropped to 75 cents or less.

Cheers

Lucas
So would I but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

I have this set up and tried to use it for the first time today. I ran water through per the posts above and everything worked fine... Once I switched over to beer the flow slowed to a trickle. I took the unit apart multiple times trying to see if it was clogged (no) and upped the psi to try and push the beer through (I sprung a couple leaks as expected). Has anyone else had this experience? I am about ready to smash this damn this....

Please tell my how I f'ed this up....

Comments welcome!

I have this set up and tried to use it for the first time today. I ran water through per the posts above and everything worked fine... Once I switched over to beer the flow slowed to a trickle. I took the unit apart multiple times trying to see if it was clogged (no) and upped the psi to try and push the beer through (I sprung a couple leaks as expected). Has anyone else had this experience? I am about ready to smash this damn this....

Please tell my how I f'ed this up....

Comments welcome!

You could have been using really small micron filter pads

Back