Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
I may have messed up. My supplier sent me a Helles all grain kit with a Bohemian pils yeast. I brewed it up and all was well. But I just realized...its a lager...and that means lowered temps for fermenting. Mine is in the house at 72 degrees, and no way to cool it down to the 40's. What can I do? I may have to switch from the conical fermentor to a glass carboy, and throw it in the cooler. Any ideas?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yep, you're going to have to ferment at lagering temps so if you can fit a carboy in your fridge that would be the best way to go.

When did you brew it? If you brewed yesterday it will probably be fermenting pretty good when you get home and it will already be creating fusal alcohol at that high of temperature. Cool it ASAP.....

does your LHBS sell an overide fridge temp controller, i baught 1 for 50$ works perfect for all brews. Otherwise your looking at a steam beer. Also a great brew, might not be the optimum ferm temp for the yeast but won't hurt nothin!

Lager it at close to freezing after fermentation is done and hopefully your yeast will metabolise the stuff you don't want (esters, diacetyl).

Back