Wyeast 3711 at cooler temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
I want to brew a saison next week, but my house stays around 68. I know saison yeast does its thing at higher temps. Will it still perform and turn out a good beer if I ferment at the lower end of the temp range? Thanks

It'll still be good. I just used it around the same temps and it turned out fine.

The beauty of. 3711 is that it is not as temp sensitive as other Saison yeasts. It will work fine at 68. It will chow through just about anything so expect it to finish low, even fermenting at 68.

Awesome! Glad to hear. I've been chomping at the bit to brew a saison ever since I drank a saison dupont. Cant wait. I will probably try a recipe someone posted here. Thanks for the input!!

I love a good Saison. Have two of them fermenting right now.

The Dupont strain is 3724, but you need real good temp control for that yeast. It likes it hot to finish out.

Stick with 3711. It is easier to use and gives a nice mouthfeel to the brew.

There are several good recipes in the recipe database here.

My house stays cooler,...my solution was to get a large container, out the carboy in, filled the container up to the beer level with water, and put an aquarium submersible heater in. Set that bad boy to my desired temp and its been humming away. I keg on Saturday.
:)

ghosthef said:
My house stays cooler,...my solution was to get a large container, out the carboy in, filled the container up to the beer level with water, and put an aquarium submersible heater in. Set that bad boy to my desired temp and its been humming away. I keg on Saturday.
:)

I do the same thing, found great big tubs with the rope handle at Walmart for 5 bucks. Only problem is my cheapo aquarium heater starts at 68 but even set to that the beer is at 74. My good heater is heating my reef tank, need to get another I guess.

Thanks for all the advice. I might just try the aquarium heater sometime. Shouldn't be that hard to do it, especially since I am fermenting 2.5 gallon batches. But, I will probably try at lower temps first since most of my extra cash goes to malt, hops, and yeast...... and of course a few sixers of craft brew until my pipeline is steady :)

Back