Last week of fermentation chilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBUDGO

Reaction score
Does it help or aid carbonation?

I just finished a brewers best Imperial Pale Ale all bottled and sat for a few weeks in cool temps. Then per the instructions, I'm to refrigerate for a week before serving. Well I was anxious and after a day on ice I had to try one. Tasted great, great ABV, perfect FG also.

It came out great but not a forceful Pffft, when popping the cap or a great head when poured. This is my second batch from extract and my first was perfect so I may be spoiled.

Not dead but could have been better. My question, will a week in th fridge help??
Thanks

Chillin' in the fridge is more for settling yeasties and such out of the beer to land on the bottom of the bottle. 3 weeks at 70 then fridge for a week is what I have started going by.

No, putting it in the fridge before carbonation occurs will stall carbonation. You may be able to restart carbonation by rousing the yeast (e.g. turning the bottles upside down for a bit) and returning the temperature to a level where the yeast is active.

Because I had it stored in the low to mid sixties for the 3 weeks prior to the fridge. It's good and I've had commercially available craft brews which open and pour worse, so I'll take it as a win. :ban:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Ive got a few buddies who are home brewers and afficianados of craft brews.
These guys are pretty honest with me so I'm being picky.

Low 60's is too cool to carbonate & condition for some yeasts. Besides slowing the process down. 70F is commonly excepted as a good temp to carb/condition in that 3 week time frame. The cooler the temp,the longer it'll take,if the yeast doesn't go dormant & settle out.

Low 60's is too cool to carbonate & condition for some yeasts. Besides slowing the process down. 70F is commonly excepted as a good temp to carb/condition in that 3 week time frame. The cooler the temp,the longer it'll take,if the yeast doesn't go dormant & settle out.

This is good info.

So it sounds like its too late to change anything now. I couldn't pull it from the fridge and wake it up again to carbonate right? Besides I gotta deliver on Christmas. Bottled as gifts. I better do a little Quality Assurance after breakfast. :tank:

Latest posts

Back