rack without oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkaidy

Reaction score
Thought I would share, I was suffering from oxidation problems earlyer this year. Around that time I saw a project in a back issue of Zymurgy for and ez build racking system that works through Co2 displacement. Its simple! Just take a double tubed carboy cap and force a stainless steel racking. cane through the top hole of the cap, then place an inline sterile filter into the side tube. attach your gas line to the filter, then place the cap snugly, onto the mouth of the carboy. Slowly turn on the gas and siphon into the vessel of your choice! No O2 involved! Happy brewing

to keep out Bactria that could be hiding in your gas line.

I never understood why people fill their entire kegs with CO2 before racking into it, it just seems like a giant waste of gas. Your beer is open to the air for MAYBE 5 minutes while racking 5 gallons with an auto siphon. Unless your splashing your wort into your keg i cant possibly see how air is ruining your beer.

Interesting project though

I never understood why people fill their entire kegs with CO2 before racking into it, it just seems like a giant waste of gas. Your beer is open to the air for MAYBE 5 minutes while racking 5 gallons with an auto siphon. Unless your splashing your wort into your keg i cant possibly see how air is ruining your beer.

Interesting project though

Because it's easier to use CO2 to force out the 5 gallons of star san that was just in there? Maybee that's just how I do it... autosiphon from star san bucket to keg, CO2 to push star san back to star san bucket cause it's that much faster.

Seriously though... a 5 gallon keg's worth of CO2 isn't much.

I believe the filter was originally used so you could blow into it and start a transfer without worry of getting anything in the beer. If using CO2 I don't really see a reason for it.

Back