Wort Chiller Workflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garben

Reaction score
Will this workflow present any issues?

I am planning on boiling (5 gal) in my kitchen and will be using a wort chiller to cool. Since connecting to my kitchen sink is not an option (wifey wanted one of those fancy faucets) I would bring the kettle down to the basement where I have a slop sink that I can easily connect the chiller too.

My question is do I need to be concerned about aeration while I move the kettle to the basement, or is there anything that I'm not thinking of? Just don't want to waste any good beer, I heard that's a sin.....

Thanks!

You should be good - that would be considered hot-side aeration (I think) and there are some downsides but I would expect it to be minimal. After cooling, of course, you're going to want aeration. Probably more important that you get it cooled than worry about hot-side aeration!

Cheers!

Don't worry about hot side aeration. I'd be more concerned about carrying 5 gallons of near-boiling wort down stairs...

Be careful.

Well the weight will be less than 50lbs so not real heavy, but a pot and liquid at or over 200F ouch man I see burns and scalding and pain specially if stairs are involved, my advise: Get a long hose from the spigot outside or even from the basement and a short one to run to the kitchen sink drain. I think that would be better than carrying about 50 lbs of 200F liquid down the steps ... but that just me... and I am old guy with bad knees

i carry 5 gallons of freshly boiled wort through the house with every batch. you definitely need to be very careful with it. trace your path beforehand, clear any crap that is lying around so you don't trip, etc. and if you've never done it before, practice with cold water (for example, some of your strike water before you heat it).

Check out local hardware store for a faucet adapter. They are a few dollars and will make life a lot simpler.

Anyone know of a link to instructions on making a homemade wort chiller that also can be used for home distilling moonshine or other types of liqours?

Anyone know of a link to instructions on making a homemade wort chiller that also can be used for home distilling moonshine or other types of liqours?
this forum is based in the US. in the US, distilling alcohol is illegal. we don't discuss illegal activity here. therefore, we don't discuss distilling.

i'm pretty sure there are other online forums you can hit up for some answers, but don't expect any here.

Either drag the garden hose inside or connect the chiller to a different faucet. I, through a series of bad decisions, got about a cup of 175ish sparge water on my bare foot and it was not pretty. Get boiling water on your foot, and it's big trouble. I think boiling liquid causes third deg burns on contact. Carrying down steps just adds to the risk of spills.

I gotta say, there's no way I'm carrying 5 gallons of water in a kettle down some stairs. Sure, 9 times out of 10 or more, it will get done without incident. That once when you screw up and scald 50% of your body and wind up in the ER is a pretty big downside.

Maybe you could splice in a Y into the cold water line below the sink and tap in there?

I would go no-chill before I committed myself to a process that regularly involved transporting a kettle like this. Beer quality would be the least of my concerns.

Thanks all. Carrying boiling wort is not a great idea, just writing that sounds stupid. I'll run a hose from outside into kitchen. Right now that sounds like the best way to go. Thanks again for keeping me out of the emergency room!

Back