Show us your Top Tier configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
I couldn't find another thread like this but as a new top tier owner, I'm curious as to the various setups and mods people have done. I'm not even done putting mine together but will post a pic just to get things started. You can basically get the drift of my current setup. single burner with Mash tun, pump, therminator.

image-1597546036.jpg

Anyone? I'd like to see too...

There doesn't seem to be many threads or owners showing off their top tier, not sure if this is because there just aren't that many out there, or what?

I love my stand and I will have to add some pictures soon. Since I am still newer to brewing and started from nothing last January I had to start out with one burner. Come January I plan on upgrading and getting another burner and pot. My question to you is which shelf would you upgrade? I was thinking about upgrading the HLT to streamline brewing.

Here's my TopTier setup. It's all gravity fed at the moment. I've had it right at a year and brewed 10 times on it. I really like the TopTier! I have a fired HLT and BK with a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. To fill my HLT, I use a RV hose to send water through the filter. It works great and I don't have to climb up a ladder with a bucket full of water.

@bhaff, I would add a fired HLT and get a converted keg / kettle. You can use the 'spare' shelf as a big utility shelf or sell it on the HBT classified section. I use a cooler as a mash tun and have not had any issues in holding my temps over the rest period. Be sure to get a sightglass / thermo combo from brewershardware.com.

Eric

photo.jpg

Will be assembling mine next week. Can't wait! Pictures to come... as well as questions.

Mine is on a fedex truck for delivery right now. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas.
I'd be curious to see how you're going to set yours up.

Not completely sure yet, either traditional three tier or two tier. I have a pump so have some options. I do have some mods in mind that I have not seen yet so I hope to post those up when they are done.

Very cool. What type of hoses/quick disconnects are you using? I've got a pump with this system too and I'm debating what to go with. Any recommendations?

I use the stainless camlocks and silicone hose that so many from HBT use. Ordered everything from bargainfittings.com, and will continue to since they have been awesome. I also have a March 809 pump and it's been great.

Here's my current rig. 3 tier, 3 burner with HERMS and 2x 815s. Yes, they're mounted to the stepladder with switched recepticles and leds. ;)

The next project will be burner automation and probably shrinking it to a single tier and integrating things better.

View attachment 57540

Attachments

• brew.jpg
    brew.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,443
Here is mine shortly after initial construction. I still had to add the autosparge in the MLT, as well as hard wire a switch for my pump (mounted it on the back about 18" under the HLT burner).

2011-12-17_16-54-08_169.jpg

Markd27 said:
I use the stainless camlocks and silicone hose that so many from HBT use. Ordered everything from bargainfittings.com, and will continue to since they have been awesome. I also have a March 809 pump and it's been great.

Thanks Mark, I will probably go with these. I got my toptier yesterday and started assembly last night. I'll attach some pics of the build as I go along.
Having pictures of others toptier setups really helps. Would love to see more. Thanks all

image-2054237172.jpg

I installed the other burner and utility shelf last night. Think I'm going to move the pump though. under the burner on the left. Down side to this is I have to remove everything to do it.

image-2923567674.jpg

image-835810609.jpg

I would move it under the burner, the heat shield will protect it, plus less chance of dripping liquid onto it. Then if you have a plate chiller, put it on the other side, similar to how mine is setup in the above picture.

Deuce said:
I would move it under the burner, the heat shield will protect it, plus less chance of dripping liquid onto it. Then if you have a plate chiller, put it on the other side, similar to how mine is setup in the above picture.

Thanks Keith, After seeing your setup and your post that's exactly what I'm going to do.

So I got it reconfigured with the pump on the left side. Now I just need get the gas manifold installed. My hoses and quick disconnects should be here tomorrow. Mark did your top tier arrive today?

image-2824919543.jpg

Looks great! Funny, your setup is identical to mine, two burner tiers, shelf tier, utility shelf, march pump, two Rubbermaid coolers and one 10 gal boilermaker. Not that any of that's stuff is rare or unique. :)

My top tier did arrive today, however, they only sent me one burner install kit when there should have been two. Called northern brewer and they said they probably wouldn't hear back from Blichmann untill next week. I was pretty bummed. :(

That is funny, I'm excited to have the pump, it opens all sorts of posibilities. I actually have the mash tun a little lower than the boil kettle so I can stir the mash a bit easier.

Sorry to hear about your missing parts. I know tha's frustrating.

Anyone think it would be ok to run the stainless gas line for the burner under the burner? Not completely under and across, but under on the outside edge, behind one of the legs. Guess I can fire one up and see how hot it gets underneath.

Well I had a pretty productive weekend on the toptier build. Got the pump moved from right side to left. Tested the pump for the first time (moving cold water from vessel to vessel). Got the gas manifold put together, installed, & tested for leaks. Fired up one of the burners & heated water to about 190 and ran through the pump to check for leaks.
Rigged a powerstrip on the mast to act as a temporary switch for the pump.
Here is a link to the photos from the build. http://jtlambert.smugmug.com/Private/Brewing/TopTier-Build/22590955_cMX2PS#!i=1808614660&k=3TpFCwK

Anyone think it would be ok to run the stainless gas line for the burner under the burner? Not completely under and across, but under on the outside edge, behind one of the legs. Guess I can fire one up and see how hot it gets underneath.
I would think it would be ok Mark. Did you test it yet?

Markd27 said:

Did you get your toptier built Mark?

Brewed on mine for the first time today. It was a bit challenging doing it for the first time by myself and an all new process, but it was great. Doing another batch tomorrow.

staticmap

image-422612629.jpg

image-2715696314.jpg

yeah i had a lil trouble on my first batch trying to figure out everything also. i ended up with 4 and 1/2 gallons. but i figured out how to set up my equipment in beer smith and didnt have a problem on my second batch. u shuld think about wiring ur pump to a switch. it makes it easier to use.

Brewed a New Belgian Belgo IPA clone attempt last night on the Top Tier. Really enjoyed using the 20G kettles. Very easy to dough in with the height and width. Clean-up was a breeze as well. I did have a bit of trouble with the grain bed compacting, this was my first non-BIAB brew so my crush was a bit too tight without any rice hulls; and probably had the pump flowing too fast. But a quick stir with the mash paddle resolved the issue. Was shooting for 72% efficiency ended up with about 66; but I'm happy with that since it was my first time.

IMAG2577.jpg

IMAG2580.jpg

IMAG2582.jpg

IMAG2585.jpg

Hey ya'll quick question... And I hope am not hijacking this thread but there has not been to much written on this system. I am thinking of purchasing a top tier but I will be storing it in a soon to be finished basement with current access to the outside slab being a 36". Will if fit through? I am really contemplating putting in a 72" French door (for other reasons) and this may be the desiding factor... If it will fit through that. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back