CO2 Buildup in Ferm Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using my keezer as my ferm chamber for the first few days of my Hefe's fermentation. This morning I opened the door and stuck my head down inside to get a good look (not using a blow-off tube due to lack of room and cool fermenation anyway - but want to be sure the airlock isn't getting cruddy).

Upon sticking myhead below a certain level, I breathed in a nice breath of sulfuric/burning type air up my nose.

I've seen this in a couple of ferm chamber build posts posed as a question but I couldn't find a good answer - any problem with CO2 buildup in a ferm chamber? Probably less so for mini-fridge conversions, as the door would open and let out the CO2. But for using a keezer type setup, where the door opens up and the heavy CO2 rests inside?

The only type of gas I am familiar with supports the Dutch Oven. So thought I'd ask the question.

I don't know how long you'd have to breathe it to pass out, but I'd avoid that. Other than that I like having the nice protective layer of CO2 helping to prevent oxidation of my beer.

Mines the same way. Never had any problems with it. Just don't keep your head in there to long.

<----can't help but stick his head in the freezer fermenter and getting a whif of the yumminess...I know i'm not the only one!

CO2 is more dense than the other components in air (N2 O2) so it will sit in there like water in a bowl. This is why in the old days when beer and wine where fermented in peoples cellars they would walk down the steps holding a candle around there waist level, so they would not suffocate walking down in to a cellar full of C02.

That burning is the CO2 dissolving in the moisture in your nose and forming Carbonic acid.

Its probably a good thing too, in that bugs(insects) wont go any where need that much CO2 and get in to your beer.

Interesting - didn't think of it as a blanket overall in the keezer keeping out other nasties. And I do have a dying plant that should probably be near it. I will try to avoid putting my head inside until I pass out. Although that does sound fun.

Not revive a dead thread, but I just noticed this same thing this morning when I checked on my first ever lager. It was impossible to get a whiff out of the airlock because of the harsh C02-laden air. I was a little bummed because I really like smelling the airlock burps. :)

Back