Visiting Seattle in July...Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
I'm going to Seattle for a week in July. Are there any good breweries worth checking out while I'm there? I can't wait, I've never been to Seattle!

There are a coup,e you can see. The two that come to mind. pyramid brewing...this is a larger brewing, never been there but had many of their brews. There is also Elysian brewery. This is a microbrewery with two brewpubs. They do some neat things. Have fun..

My faves are elliot bay breweing in either west seattle or burien, pike brewing right in downtown, or big al's in white center. Red hook also does a nice tour for 1$ that comes with as many refills in your tasting glass as you want.

The weather is awesome here in July, save your money and skip the space needle and do something outdoorsy.

Naked City. Spend the week there. It's been deemed one of the best beer bars in the world, and it was founded by HBT's own Brewtopia. If I had a week to spend in Seattle, I don't think I would leave.

Seriously. My wife and I have talked about "what if we have to move" once she gets her Doctorate, Seattle is on the short list in no small part because of this pub.

Great thread on Naked City here:

Seattle is July -- You could not have picked a better time to visit the city!

Seattle is a great beer side ... one of the best in the nation. There are dozens of breweries in the city and some of the best beer bars in the world (yes world) here. Here are some of my favorites (I'll probably forget some, this city is that great):

Brewpubs / Breweries:

Pike Brewery @ Pike Market downtown - One of the longest run pubs in town at a great location. Call them and get a tour 'Beer Exbeerience'. It requires a reservation, but is easily the best brewery tour I've ever been on.

Naked City - North of downtown. Great brewpub, that has a selection of world-class guest taps. Also just down the street from Gorditos which makes awesome wet burritos.

Elysian - Several pubs in down, I like the Capital Hill location the best.

Black Raven - They're located across Lake Washington in Redmond, but are certainly one of the most innovative new breweries in town. I don't believe they serve food, but have a tap room.

Fremont Brewery - Nice place to have a pint (in the actual brewery) if you're in Fremont.

Big Time - Nice brewpub in the U-District. Afterwards go to Shultzy's for some sausage and German beer.

Beer Bars

Brouwers - Located in Fremont. One of the best beer bars in the world. Great food too.

Collin's Pub - Located in Pioneer Square. Awesome tap list, great food.

The Stumbling Monk - Great small hole-in-the-wall beer bar with an wonderful Belgian tap and bottle list.

Beveridge Place - The place to drink craft beer if you're in West Seattle

- Avoid -

The Tap House - There are a lot better places with better food, less taps, but way better selection (quality over quantity), and better prices.

The Brave Horse - Not a fan of the fact that I consistently got short pours there (I'm talking about 4-6 ounces short). Food is okay, but overpriced and a bit trendy.

I'm not from Seattle, but I visit as often as I can. From personal experience I'd recommend Hales and Georgetown brewing in addition to the others already mentioned.

A fun road trip would be to jump a ferry to Bremerton and go to Silvercity Brewery just north of Bremerton in Silerdale. Take a short driving north to Poulsbo and have a pint on the deck at Bayside broiler (not the best beer selection or food but the upper deck is great in the summer). Then head to Bainbridge island and Winslow to The Harbour Public House, great beer selection and very good food. Then get on the Winslow ferry back to Seattle.

A fun road trip would be to jump a ferry to Bremerton and go to Silvercity Brewery just north of Bremerton in Silerdale. Take a short driving north to Poulsbo and have a pint on the deck at Bayside broiler (not the best beer selection or food but the upper deck is great in the summer). Then head to Bainbridge island and Winslow to The Harbour Public House, great beer selection and very good food. Then get on the Winslow ferry back to Seattle.

Don't forget 7 Seas Brewery in Gig Harbor if you go to the west sound! You could actually reverse this tour and stop at Engine House #9 in Tacoma. The only catch is having someone sober to drive :cross:.

Don't forget 7 Seas Brewery in Gig Harbor if you go to the west sound! You could actually reverse this tour and stop at Engine House #9 in Tacoma. The only catch is having someone sober to drive :cross:.
Totally if you were to go through Tacoma and then head north, E9, 7 Seas and the Tides, then north for the rest of the loop. I live in Tacoma and that has to be our favorite day trip.

Wow. This thread is great. I'm leaving for Seattle tomorrow night. Super excited to actually see the city and not be working this time.

Good thread - subscribed! I'm heading to Puyallup/Tacoma in August and will be making some outings to breweries while there. I grew up there, but left the area in '89 for work. So much has changed in the beer scene since then that this info will be quite helpful.

I just got back from my sister's wedding in Seattle. Bachelor's party gave me some pretty good exposure to the scene. We went bowling and I asked for something pale and local. They told me Manny's was the way to go. However, I just goggled it and it turns out it's Georgetown and I think someone has said that already. So I guess thats just a +1. Super good pale ale. not too hoppy and not too sweet just really easy drinker. We ended the night at Brouwers. Pretty cool building and atmosphere later in the night. Easy going crowd and huge selection of beer. Rumor has it they can be a little snuddy but when I was there I didn't notice it too much. But I did warn you. Also be careful just about every thing they have on tap is imperial this dubble that. it definitely got the best of me that night. Then at the wedding reception they brought in a couple kegs from Two Beers Brewery. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPEEEERRRRR good beer. They have a building out by the qwest and safeco I was told.

Ah hell, reading this thread makes me realize all the great pubs I am overdue in visiting. :)

They've just about coverred them all, but I did not see Black Raven in Redmond mentioned, if it's been mentioned I apologize. They are a fairly new place but have been tearing it up at competitions like the world beer cup. They have a serious brew master. It is a brewery with a tasting room, although I think they've had to expand the tasting room twice in the last year, and you still can't find a seat.
http://www.blackravenbrewing.com/

Enjoy the trip. July is a great month to be in Seattle!

I am heading to Seattle this afternoon for a short trip. I will not be able to hit every brewery that I want. Anyone have a suggestion for a liquor store with a great selection of some west coast beers?

Thanks

Josh

I am heading to Seattle this afternoon for a short trip. I will not be able to hit every brewery that I want. Anyone have a suggestion for a liquor store with a great selection of some west coast beers?

Thanks

Josh

bottleworks would be where I went on 45th in Wallingford. Most grocers in the city have a good selection especially the Market ones, like Ballard, Central etc...

Also try Fullthrottle Bottle in Georgetown or 99 Bottles down in Federal Way. Both have great selections.

Nevermind. I didn't realize you were jsut looking for liquor stores.

Pike Brewery is a great place. they also have pretty good food. They make a killer Stout float and a Framboise float. Gotta try their Uncle's Monk. If they still have the cak aged Uncle's Monk, I highly recommend that.

Elysian is also a good brewery to visit.

Back