Wyeast: Smack It Today / Starter Tomorrow / Brew Saturday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All -

This schedule is ok, right?

~ Smack the Wyeast today at 5p,
~ Starter Tomorrow at 5pm
~ Brew Saturday Morning

Would you adjust anything?

You guys rule.

the smack pack will be ready in about 8 hours...will balloon up faster than Marlon Brando, I would smack it in the morning before work and by the time you come it will be ready. just my 2 cents, I wouldn't let it go over 12 hours but I am sure there are people in here to have done what you are doing with no ill effects

also, if he does this, will the thing asplode?

I'd pitch it the same night you smack it. It should swell up in 3 or 4 hours. But here's my starter schedule if that helps and the last brew I did following this fermented fast and super clean.

Smack Pack at time T
Pitch Pack in Starter at T+4 hours
Put Starter in Fridge at T+48 hours
Decant Liquid and Pitch slurry in beer at T+72hours

Of course, the time depends also on the volume of your starter. I wouldn't let a 1Pint starter sit for 48 hours. I usually do half gallon starters. Hope this helps.

I let them sit for 24 hours after activation, then pitch to starter. I smack it at bed time then get wifey to stick it under her boob for the night to really get the little guys going.

If you're making a starter, there is no need to wait for the package to swell. Even Wyeast's website says it's not necessary. It's not necessary for the packages to fully swell before pitching directly, either, but I would give it time if I was concerned about viability and making a small beer without a starter.

The smack pack will be fine if you smack it then leave it, particularly if making a starter. The pack is quite safe to sit over 12 hours. What's going to get inside?

It also depends on the date of manufacture. Advice given to me suggests to smack and leave for 1/2 day per month since date of manufacture. Starters are good if making a bigger beer or wanting to split off some yeast for use later. If it's 1040-150ish you can just pitch the lot when you're ready. Smacking just helps rouse the yeast and lets you know it's viable as you can get dud packs from time to time.

If you're making a starter, there is no need to wait for the package to swell. Even Wyeast's website says it's not necessary. It's not necessary for the packages to fully swell before pitching directly, either, but I would give it time if I was concerned about viability and making a small beer without a starter.

^What yooper said

All -

This schedule is ok, right?

~ Smack the Wyeast today at 5p,
~ Starter Tomorrow at 5pm
~ Brew Saturday Morning

This is almost EXACTLY what I'm doing! :rockin: I just smacked my pack of Wyeast 1010 and am making a starter tomorrow, except I'm planning on brewing on Friday morning or at the latest, Friday evening.

Make your starter in the morning, that way it's ramped up on brew day...not a big deal if you don't make it til tomorrow evening anyhow. I usually just use the pack after 3 hours of smacking...and once even used where I didn't pop the nutrient pouch, and everything worked out fine. Not a problem unless you're brewing a high gravity beer.

I have never had a problem with letting the starter work for the better part of 48 hours. I usualy go 24 but if I am brewing a lager I double the starter size and wait the better part of 48.

I'd still suggest smacking it to verify that the yeast is healthy. I've had two bad smack packs in the past year.

Also, I tend to make starts SEVERAL days in advance of using the yeast. I'll smack a pack on Tuesday afternoon, make a starter that night, and not use it until the weekend. I like the starters to ferment out and let the yeast settle before I decant the liquid and pitch the slurry.

Seems like the way to go, walker.
Especially if making a bigger starter... Mine is ~2.5 quarts... And Id rather not pitch that all into the wort. Thanks for the advice all

Back