Help - Beers Taste Watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
So I just got done force carbing my 2nd and 3rd batch and I pour two glasses and taste them. Both taste very watery, without that characteristic beer flavor. My first batch tasted great.

Could it be something with my kegging or did I just screw these two batches up? The recipes were tried and true. Rocky Racoons Honey Ginger Lager and a Hefeweizen from my LHBS. I am a little confused as to why they taste like this.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Give us more detail. Batch size, how much malt/malt extract you used, time in the fermentor... etc.

could be any number of things. a significantly low OG. not enough hops or not a long enough boil time. stale extract/grain. i suppose a high boil gravity could affect things. keeps the hops from being properly utilized in the wart. using pure O2 when aerating. Im with Mithion. need more details.

were these extract recipes? im assuming that they were partial boil and you had to top off with water. What was your origional and final gravity and is it possible you topped off too much?

yooper - i force carbed at 30 psi for two days. the temperature was 40. i tasted one of the beers before carbing and it seemed fine. so i was thinking it had to do with carbonation. maybe it isnt carbed enough.

I had the same problem with the first few kegged batches.

My problem went away after 2 or 3 kegs, I dont know what the deal was, but the first few kegs pretty much were water.

After that, kegging has been all good.

zac, that is bizarre...because i do feel like it is because of the kegging for some reason. the beers seemed fine before. their gravities were on for the most part. and then i kegged it and it just tastes watery. its weird.

I have only kegged once. I have not tapped it yet. I am new to brewing. So, I am not the one to give advice. My first bottled beer tasted very watery as you described. I let it sit for 2 extra weeks. It had much more body and flavor to it. I don't know if kegging and bottling produces different outcomes. But, waiting the extra weeks made a 100% improvement.

I don't know anything about kegs, but is it possible you might have a leak? If your beer is getting oxydized, that might explain why it taste very thin and watery. The other thing is maybe your final gravity was very low. If that's the case, then there might not be very much sugar left in your beer that would contribute fullness and mouthfeel. A couple of beers ago, I brewed a brown ale which fermented bone dry due to my mash being too cold. In a way, it tasted thin and watery. Anyhow, these are just ideas. Do you know what your final gravity was?

My first two batches of kegged beer tasted great. On my latest batch of PM Witbeir I over filled my top off a little but my brew definitely tastes watery. I dropped my pressure and it seemed to taste less watery and I hoping with time it gets better, if I can wait.

On a side note I filled a couple of 20oz bottles for a little late night fun and I left a bottle in my truck for a day and then into then fridge. I just popped it and this pint tastes great. Maybe I didn't let it get warm enough???

How long have these beers been aging? It seems to me that exceedingly young beers tend to taste rather watery... Might be a thought.

I've never had a "watery" beer that didn't have an issue with recipe or efficiency, whether it was young or properly aged. I personally don't think that descriptor could have much to do with kegging.
You should post your intended OG, your actual OG, and your FG to diagnose this.

This is weird. My first two kegged beers were quite qatery as well. But they were an English Mild and a Scottish 60 Shilling so I just attributed it to being small beers. Never gave it any other though. Everything else since has been fine.

It sounds like the watery quality in the beer is due to the lack of carbonation, crank your gauges to 12 psi, and let them sit for another week, it should be all good by then. I have noticed that beers that dont have a good carb on them (like when I drink mine before they are ready) do feel a little more "watery" in characteristic but all the taste is there. I normally just let em sit at 12 psi for a week at or around 43F.

I had a brown ale that was watery tasting after 2 days of forced, I let it sit about 10 days and it was better, another week and it was fine.

I am drinking it now and have no complaints, my FG was higher than target and came in @ 1.020. But its not a bad beer at all.

Back