Sour Peach Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Based on my new found love of sour beers, and the recent success of my Apricot Blond Ale...I've formulated this:

8# 2 Row
1# Vienna
mash, sparge, cool to 130, then add 1/2 # of 2 row and allow to sour for 24 hours. pour back into clean Mash Tun and drain (I don't want to use a grain bag so as to provide ultimate contact with the wort)
Boil, adding 1 oz Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes.

I will add 3# of Peach Puree to the fermentor, and 4 ox of peach extract at bottling time.

I'm not looking to re-formulate the recipe (Cause I've already been shopping), but please shout if you see any procedural issues that will prevent success.

It sounds pretty tasty. I'm sour-mashing for a stout now. My only question (being a sour mashing noob myself) is how you plan to control the final taste. It seems like if lacto really gets hold of that mash, within 24 hours, it may be too sour.

But what do I know? I mini-mashed a half-pound of 2-row last night about 8PM. As of right now, it's maybe just a tiny bit tangy, but now what I'd expect yet. I'll sparge and boil it separately, then add to the fermenter, probably tomorrow.

Sounds like you have a plan. Let me know how it turns out. Personally, I'm contemplating a peach melomel once the Palisade peaches come in.

I've got dregs saved from a couple of bottles. Couple more and I'm going to make your recipe.

My recipe. Thank you.I sent my last couple bottles of that off to Denny Conn and BierMuncher. I got Denny's e-mail today

Hi Jim,
Sorry to take so long getting back to ya...it's been weird here...;)

Let me just say...FREAKIN' FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I can say about the mango strong that hasn't been said already. A totally delicious beer, perfectly balanced. Sour up front, but the the mango kicks in mid palate. A throughly enjoyable experience. The ESB was a great example of the style. Both were flawlessly executed.

Thanks so much for thinking of me when you sent them up. The mango strong was a real inspiration for me to try something crazy one of these days. When I do, you'll be sure you get some!

------------->Denny

I'll be following this one. Very interested to see how it turns out. Are you making the puree yourself or using the canned kind?
If this turns out well, I'll have to convert it to extract and brew some.

My recipe. Thank you.I sent my last couple bottles of that off to Denny Conn and BierMuncher. I got Denny's e-mail today

Hi Jim,
Sorry to take so long getting back to ya...it's been weird here...;)

Let me just say...FREAKIN' FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I can say about the mango strong that hasn't been said already. A totally delicious beer, perfectly balanced. Sour up front, but the the mango kicks in mid palate. A throughly enjoyable experience. The ESB was a great example of the style. Both were flawlessly executed.

Thanks so much for thinking of me when you sent them up. The mango strong was a real inspiration for me to try something crazy one of these days. When I do, you'll be sure you get some!

------------->Denny

Excellent, then I know who I can send some to for some critique. The nice thing about AZ winter, which is 7 months approx. I can just use my house temp for fermenting. I will be starting the drunken owl in less than 30 days.

I am also making your stout in the next 2 weeks, making a lot of stouts lately.

I am bringing the beer production up to a maximun in the winter because right now my fermenting fridge only fits 2 bottles at a time.

11 1/2 hours after cooling to 120 and adding the 1/2 # Bag of 2 row. This is starting to smell a little funky, and is getting a bit of a foam head on it. Sure can't wait to see what happens in the next 5 hours or so! I wish we had smelavision so you could smell this. Anyway, Just an Update.

Sour_Peach.jpg

11 1/2 hours after cooling to 120 and adding the 1/2 # Bag of 2 row. This is starting to smell a little funky, and is getting a bit of a foam head on it. Sure can't wait to see what happens in the next 5 hours or so! I wish we had smelavision so you could smell this. Anyway, Just an Update.

Sour_Peach.jpg

I left a wheelbarrow with old grains out in the yard for more than a week now and I can't get near it to dump it because the stench is that bad. Hopefully it doesn't smell like that

Almost 5:pM I've been boiling for about 45 minutes now, and after adding the hops, things smell marginally better. The pre-boil smell was like I'd taken nice tasty wort and added 3 day old popcorn to it. YUCK! Bringing it to a boil was nasty, it ran SWMBO out of the house....literally. Really, now, it's down to an OFF normal smell, but not nearly as bad. I'm hoping that a 90 minute boil is going to drive off that butter smell....and it looks like it's going to.

OK, We're in Fermentor...Yeast is pitched. I got up the nerve to taste the test sample, and it's not really bad. Sour as hell, but not bad, this will be good with fruit added.
I got mu usual astonishing 61% Efficiency, and an OG of 1.040

C-Ya back in a few days with update when I add Fruit.

Tonight I bottled at 1.002.
Used 3/4 cup corn sugar (yes I was too lazy to weigh it out)

There is a ton of junk in the bottles, as I could have taken this beer to a secondary and probabaly helped things out a LOT, but I didn't.
It is definitely Sour, and it's definitely PEACH! I'll let you know in about 10 or 15 days....however long I can wait....how it's progressing.

JDS....How'd the sour Stout turn out?

The sour stout turned out pretty well, although I'd call it tangy, rather than sour. Between using some rye malt and doing the sour/wild ferment with some of the mash, I got a nice dry stout that's not a Guinness clone.

Howzabowt we swap a few bottles?

Tonight I bottled at 1.002.
Used 3/4 cup corn sugar (yes I was too lazy to weigh it out)

There is a ton of junk in the bottles, as I could have taken this beer to a secondary and probabaly helped things out a LOT, but I didn't.
It is definitely Sour, and it's definitely PEACH! I'll let you know in about 10 or 15 days....however long I can wait....how it's progressing.

JDS....How'd the sour Stout turn out?

BK, please continue updating this thread! Last weekend I had dogfish head's peach something-or-other which was very sour and i loved it! Atleast I thought it was sour til I had a Cantillon cherry lambic. I too now have an urge for more sours, and after stumbling across this thread, I've found my next brew. :mug:

I couldn't take it. I chilled one down after 4 days in the bottle. (Someone get Revvy a Doctor!!!)

Carbonation of course is low...duh!! 4 days in bottle remember.
it has a SERIOUS Pectin haze that I doubt will fade...but it's very pretty to look at. It kinda smells like ass, and has a bit of a barnyard flavor...but MAN IS IT PEACHY!
Unless something goes whore-ably wrong as it ages, I'd say this has more potential than any specialty beer I've ever made.

Next up...Same Recipe, sub Cherries for the Peaches.:rockin:

I'm also thinking that a Nut Brown that's been soured would be very good.

I couldn't take it. I chilled one down after 4 days in the bottle. (Someone get Revvy a Doctor!!!)

Carbonation of course is low...duh!! 4 days in bottle remember.
it has a SERIOUS Pectin haze that I doubt will fade...but it's very pretty to look at. It kinda smells like ass, and has a bit of a barnyard flavor...but MAN IS IT PEACHY!
Unless something goes whore-ably wrong as it ages, I'd say this has more potential than any specialty beer I've ever made.

Next up...Same Recipe, sub Cherries for the Peaches.:rockin:

I'm also thinking that a Nut Brown that's been soured would be very good.

If it is anything like my mango, in 6-8 months it will be heaven so leave it the F$ck alone til then. :D:mug:

What would you think of doing a similar sour mash without the fruit? Maybe a Sour Smash, or would that be too simple of a grain bill to stand up to souring. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do a full on brett souring.

Sorry if I'm hijacking!

Sorry if I'm hijacking!
Nope...and this is probabaly where the recipe will head. This is a discussion about Lactic sour beer, not a recipe thread. Like much of what I do...it's an experiment.
I have a Sour Stout that jds did...might need to go get one of those in a minute.
I do think that the blond would be lost without the fruit.

Perhaps my first sour NON fruit beer will be a brown. I think that it is a great style, and I may pursue this one to an extreme.

Maybe I'll have to try a fruit beer...one day. I'm just not a big fan. I think Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has scarred me for life.

The problem is that I just brewed a brown...

I am planning a Pumpkin Dunkelweizen...which might stand up to souring well. Having not tasted a lactic soured beer it is hard for me to tell. Thoughts?

Perhaps my first sour NON fruit beer will be a brown
\
Are we talkin nut brown or oud bruin? This is a modification of the recipe I planned on brewing. I had another recipe saved on my comp, but that POS paperweight my school forced me into buying crashed for the 3rd time in a month, so I lost the file. I just kinda threw this together based off the last recipe, and this will prob be what I'll brew. Don't worry about the SRM, I still do partial mash and my beers always end up like 50830385308 SRM darker than what they should be

OudBruin-1.jpg

I have a Sour Stout that jds did...might need to go get one of those in a minute.

Well? Go break that sucker out! I know I like it, but that may just be a parent's pride.

I have a couple of bottles of BK's Sour Peach beer in hibernation under the basement steps. I'll open them when BK says htey're ready.

Maybe I'll have to try a fruit beer...one day. I'm just not a big fan. I think Sam Adams Cherry Wheat has scarred me for life.

Ooh, no, go get a fruit lambic at the beer store. You will be restored. :rockin:

I think I would go fruit for any sour beer except I really want to try infecting some barleywine sometime. HOTD Fred Flander-ized would be... AMAZING.
:drunk:

Yea, I've tried the fruited lambics widely available at the store (Lindemans). It just tastes like soda to me. Overly sweetened and not what I would describe as sour. I honestly don't think I have had a fruited beer I enjoyed. Lambic or not.

\
Are we talkin nut brown or oud bruin? This is a modification of the recipe I planned on brewing. I had another recipe saved on my comp, but that POS paperweight my school forced me into buying crashed for the 3rd time in a month, so I lost the file. I just kinda threw this together based off the last recipe, and this will prob be what I'll brew. Don't worry about the SRM, I still do partial mash and my beers always end up like 50830385308 SRM darker than what they should be

Looks like a solid Belgian pale ale recipe becomes a Flanders. Sounds really great! The WLP515 is out now, you could primary it with that...

Well I was looking at ingredients, and for some reason, decided that I needed to buy my first pound of hops to decrease costs. I found a closeout of old stock of 4% Spalt Select from breworganic for $20, so I'll be using those instead. I use saaz and spalt religiously, but my LHBS only has ~3% versions of both (and they're $4/oz). Also, instead of the aforementioned yeasts, breworganic has some old wyeast packs they're selling for cheap ($3), so I'm going to pitch the wyeast berliner-weiss blend. Has all the necessary bugs, and will be less hassle, not to mention about $5 cheaper.

Well I was looking at ingredients, and for some reason, decided that I needed to buy my first pound of hops to decrease costs. I found a closeout of old stock of 4% Spalt Select from breworganic for $20, so I'll be using those instead. I use saaz and spalt religiously, but my LHBS only has ~3% versions of both (and they're $4/oz). Also, instead of the aforementioned yeasts, breworganic has some old wyeast packs they're selling for cheap ($3), so I'm going to pitch the wyeast berliner-weiss blend. Has all the necessary bugs, and will be less hassle, not to mention about $5 cheaper.

Old hops are better for sour beers anyway. Sounds like a great plan.

Got a call today saying that yeast was totally sold out. Back to plan A I guess of using yogurt. To keep costs down I'll probably go with yogurt culture and S-33.

If you want to make more of a Berliner Wiess Like the DFH Peche is, drop the grain bill down to get it say 4% or lower and don't do a sour mash, use sach and lacto simultaneously in the fermentation. The lacto craps out about 3%, but if you make it too malty, you'll cover up the sour.

BTW Wyeast at least make pure cultures of most all the bugs you could want. If one HBS doesn't have them another will. I usually order everything from AHS, but since they are very lacking in this area, I get all the bugs i want from midwest.

Someone even has the Roselare blend still available.

So...I'm having another.
I's a bit of an odd flavor, and maybe I'm just not a Sour Beer Expert...but it tastes like it's just plane odd.
The first taste you get is the Sour Grain...followed by an overwhelming peach flavor...followed by a combination of the two with the fruit tapering off as you swallow.
I should have definitely used a secondary for clearing, and maybe some pectic enzyme too....but the cloudy beer has it's appeal as well.

*** Keep in mind...this beer is a month and 6 days since birth...and only bottled for 12 days.

Thanks to the BigKahuna, I have three bottles of Sour Peach beer aging under my basement steps. I think I might crack one open around Thanksgiving, unless Charles tells me different. I know little about aging of sour beers.

Charles has also sent me an assortment of 3 of these. I did try one, out of curiosity. I did not take notes, but it was interesting. I think it was most likely mashed a little high, and since it is young a sweetness came through that is causing the odd flavor. You do get a grainy astringency that is commonly associated with sour beers, but the sweetness plays strangely off this. I really think it needs more time to develop, but I do agree this would have befitted from a longer secondary.

It is a good beer with a large range of flavors. I did enjoy the beer, but you can tell it will need several more months to get even better. One thing I found odd, I am not getting the huge peach that has been mentioned. It may have been just my palette that night, so I need to take real notes when I try next time.

really a straight lacto beer should not need much aging. Certainly nothing past what you would age a normal beer. Especially the way BK did it. There is no lactobacillus in the beer and aside from sach cleaning up stuff as with all normal living beer, nothing should change all that much.

Back