adding gypsum to bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnycrk

Reaction score
Can gypsum or calcium chloride be added to the bottling bucket? Maybe add it with the priming sugar and boil then dump it in? I forget to add it to the mash and kettel when I brewed it.

Don't think it would help now. The mash is where it would mostly effect the beer. I wouldn't do it, but maybe someone else has more knowledge on the matter.

Do not add. It won't do anything at this point. It won't even get into solution that well at this point very well even if it would aide in adding it this late.

Leave it alone!

Can you add it? Sure. Just dissolve it in some boiling water, cool, and dump it in.

Should you add it? Eh... If you had 100% RO water, then sure. They'll still make a flavor contribution. If you were using tap or filtered water with some reasonable mineral levels, I'd just leave it as is.

Wow thanks for the quick replies! Love this site. I will not add.

I have very soft tap water is what I brewed with. My ipas all benefit from salt additions. Ive been adding it during mash and first boil, but forgot this time. If it wont help at all then I wont bother.

I think it is pretty clear from the previous posts but I'll try to summarize.
1. If your intent in planning to add gypsum to the mash was to increase calcium to reduce mash pH or to protect enzymes or to increase clarity of runoff it is too late and there is no point in adding it to the boil.
2 If your intent was to increase sulfate in order to sharpen hops bitterness then you can add it to the bottling bucket. In fact you can add it to the finished beer.
3. If your intent includes both 1 and 2 you can add it to the bottling bucket but you will only achieve the benefits of 2.

My main reason to wanting to add the salts is to enhance the hops. This is a VERY hoped beer. Its the fresh squeeze IPA in the recipe section, and it has a lot of hops. My water is in ppm
Ca-28
Mg-1.2
Na-4
CI-11
SO-9.3
Alkalinity-18

Usually I'll add 4grams gypsum,4grams calcium chloride to mash.
4grams gypsum, 4grams calcium chloride to boil. How much should I add to bottling bucket? And should I per say leave one out over the other?

I'd take some of the beer, flat though it be, put it in a glass, chill it and add both salts incrementally as you taste. When the taste is what you want scale to the volume in the bottling bucket and add.

That is a darn nice water. The beer should be fine although the flavor may be a little bland. I guess you could do it the way AJ recommends. I find that its difficult to assess beer flavor in an undercarbonated sample and think they are always too sweet. That could push you to add too much mineral content to the beer. I suggest that performing the test above on the carbonated beer may be more informative.

Either way, I expect that your beer will be fine. The low ionic level just means that the beer may not have the pop that you want. Performing the test with mineral additions will help guide you when you brew the next version.

Enjoy!

Back