How a post quickly becomes derailed: A case study

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srm775

Reaction score
Ohh, wait, I have an even better idea. Get your self some sharks with lasers on their heads. When the sharks breath, they'll out gas the CO2 and they heat it up with laser to make it rise into your upside down carboy overhead. Of course, you'll have to fashion a one-way valve that with a CO2/O2 barrier membrane that only allows CO2 to pass through.

Whenever I see threads start to head in these types of directions ... it' reminds me of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers (or old Batman shows). Extremely complicated, dangerous and, frankly, idiotic schemes to do something that can be accomplished with a very simple act.

I've never purged my carboys before racking and have never had oxidized beer ... and I'm usually not even that gentle when racking my beer.

MOD:
My emphasis: Use unwise in my opinion instead.

If I'm not mistaken, the original poster was asking for ideas. If you have one, post it. If you want to be a jerk and call people idiotic, you're in the wrong place.... heck you're on the wrong website. Try calling in to one of those political talk shows on the radio. Then you can call everyone an idiot and you'll never ever have to think of any new ideas ever again.

My emphasis:
Basically giving the person a taste of his/her medicince. Typically doesn't work.

shafferpilot said:
If I'm not mistaken, the original poster was asking for ideas. If you have one, post it. If you want to be a jerk and call people idiotic, you're in the wrong place.... heck you're on the wrong website. Try calling in to one of those political talk shows on the radio. Then you can call everyone an idiot and you'll never ever have to think of any new ideas ever again.

Advice: As I said, I've never purged my carboys before and have never had a problem with oxidation. Follow what Yooper said and that poster will be fine or do as another poster mentioned and buy a small canister of CO2 if it's that worrisom.

:off: I didn't call any one idiotic. I said some schemes were idiotic when there's a very simple solution. Holding a glass carboy over a propane burner or torch flame to purge O2? Not only is it not practical or logistically easily accomplished, its quite dangerous.

I offered advice, not to worry about it. However, you didn't with your last post and since when did you become the HBT police and could speak for everyone on here?

So by calling a new idea idiotic, you were trying to be helpful?

some definitions from reference.com:
idiotic:
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an idiot.
Showing foolishness or stupidity.

so YES you did call him/us idiot(s) by calling the idea idiotic.

I'm not the police, but when someone is trying that hard to be a jerk, I can't help but call them out.

Of course you can feel free to go running to a moderator to whine about my calling you a jerk if you want. I'd rather get back to the topic at hand, hopefully you'll go away and let the innovative types think of new ideas without further insults.

I like the idea of rigging tubing from the primary to the empty secondary to contain the natural CO2. That sounds promising and fairly simple so long as you don't get foam in the secondary.

Why is it that whenever someone comes up with a new idea, good or bad, someone has to jump in and tell them that they are an idiot? If you think the idea is a bad one, misinformed or dangerous, then please say so. But what is the point in calling that person names, or acting like it's the stupidest idea you've ever heard? If you don't have something constructive to say, then shut up. No one wants to hear it! What is this, grade school?

Oh, and if you really want to be a jerk and send a private message to further the insults beyond what would ever be allowed in an open forum, at least have the courtesy to clear out your message box so a response can be made.

Mod: Changing the venue dosn't work either.

while he shouldn't have called you an idiot, II think holding a 10lb piece of glass over an open flame for a lengthly period of time is not the safest thing ever.

This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen, how stupid.

I can't be the only one who thought about doing this.
How else can we earn EAC status?

MOD EDIT: Not helping

I don't see the point of this thread.

People, let's be respectful. If you aren't, you've been warned.

With that said, I interpreted the original comment to be aimed at the idea, not at you personally. In any case, let's try and stay respectful, OK? You can say "I think that's a bad idea because..." and it's a lot nicer that saying "I think that's an idiotic idea because..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back