What have I done here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkemens

Reaction score
So, I was cleaning out a closet to make some room for the various things we collect and I stumbed across two 1 gallon "strawberry wines" that I had put back in the corner (away from light, vibration, et cetera)... and then completely forgotten about.

They've been there about a year I'm guessing. They had already fermented and were clarifying. I remember these guys because my formula went hay wire and they fermented to about 18% abv. It sure as hell smells like rocket fuel - very sour to the tongue and goes right to the head. I'm pretty sure I had clarified and then transferred again for a second clarification and there's very little sediment (almost none). It's a deep, deep rosy color in the bottle, though a reddish brown when poured. I'm guessing the brown is from oxidation.

Here are my hopes:
1: It's not toxic
2: There's some sort of name for this thing I've created

As long as it's not poisonous (more so than alcohol is intended to be) - I'll blend it with something - maybe a sangria... otherwise, I'll dump it out.

Thoughts?

:drunk:

usually bringing yeast to it's ABV limits is not a good idea because:
1) it produces lots of byproducts at high abv
2) creates clearing problem when there still some sugars left but yeast can't finish them off

1: It's not toxic
giving it has cleared and adding lots of aging, it may be very drinkable
2: There's some sort of name for this thing I've created
with little fruit and lots of sugar that would be called hooch? :cross:

Awesome. Thank you! Sampled a bit the other night - not exactly great, but it'll sure do the trick.

yea it is oxidized, if it tastes sour its probably turning into vinegar or in the early stages of turning into vinegar, i guess if it gives you a buzz then drink it.

Back