Anything special i need to do for bottle conditioning a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc-ferg

Reaction score
Otters my porter about two days ago and it's been sitting in my closet for two days now. Should I leave it there or move it to the fridge. And if I move it to the fridge will it stop carbonating?

I won't carbonate in the fridge. I'd leave it out at least for a couple weeks and then you can store it in the fridge if you want. But I'd warn you, cold beer tends to get drank and if you're waiting for it to get to it's prime you're just making it hard on yourself.

Three weeks at 70 degrees is the baseline for most beers to carb up. Colder temps and higer gravities take longer. Fridge temps will basically stop carbonation.

Note that once a beer is carbed, it can still be green (darker beers especially get this). Be prepared to wait longer to have really good beer.

My directions say 2 days at room temp then 20 days in the fridge. This just doesn't seem right

RuffRider said:
You sure your directions don't say 20 days at room temperature and then at least 2 days in the fridge before drinking? That would be more in line with a baseline norm.

I just looked at the directions and the way they worded it was very misleading. I guess that's basically what it says. Sorry for the waste of a thread guys. Guess I should of read more carefully. Thanks anyway

No sweat!

RDWHAHB! Unless, of course, you have to wait on that porter to have a home brew. Then have a good commercial craft beer while you wait. Cheers!

Back