tips for pumping/recirculating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luismatalon

Reaction score
I am a plumbing noob. I am upgrading my system and I am looking for tips...specifically venting.
In my previous system, I was recirculating a la Jamil...with a tube/immersion chiller combo. I would try to get most of the air out of the tubing before placing the tube/chiller combo in the boil kettle. Nevertheless, I would get a big ol air bubble blow up through my wort.
I don't like that. I want to tighten up this process on my new system.
In my new system, I'm going to just have a valve/port in the pot in lieu of the tube attached to the immersion coil for recirculation. What is a good way to rid myself of the air in the tube without making a mess? I am assuming I need a vent pipe of sorts...but it would have to be above the liquid line of the boil kettle, correct? Pictures would be awesome, if you have em.
Cheers!

yea...I was worried about HSA. I tend to condition many of my brews for some time . Although I've never detected any off flavors in older brew, I still figured I'd aim for better control while I'm upgrading.

I built a recirculculation tube out of copper. I use it to fill the BK and never remove it. You do need a valve on it so you do not siphon. I start recycling about 15 minutes from the end of the boil. I have plate chiller and I do recycle through that to sanitizse (No cooling water). I do have a trub filter in the line as well (brewersHardware.com) I have three pumps although I really only use two at a time. The third I just use for hot water and use it to top off BK if I boil off too much and to also sanitize hoses, etc and as a spare if on of my other pumps starts giving me fits.

Back