Pipeline & storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
This is my first year making cider and now that cellar temps have reached the 70's I probably wont start anything new until the cider mills open around labor Day. I've been experimenting with apple juice concentrate but prefer fresh cider.

I got me a bunch of carboys and my plan is to start 2 carboys every 3 weeks or so. My question is once I transfer to the secondary and rack off the dead yeast and any depleted fruit can the cider stay in the carboy for a while?

I was thinking of bottling only when I break into my last case of 12 oz. bottles. If I do that the majority of cider I make will sit in carboys in the basement from New Years to Memorial Day with basement temps in the 50's & 60's.

Cheers
:mug:

I made 35 gallons from fresh squeezed last fall. I got two empty 15 gal malt extract barrels from my lhbs. I drilled the bungs to accept an airlock. I started them in Oct and left them in primary until February.

I then racked into carboys and added various additives....fruit, cinnamon, vanilla, mulled spices etc to the different carboys. I just recently kegged 5 gal and bottled 10 gallon. The rest is still bulk aging and I will probably bottle in the next month or so.

This is a long answer to your question but don't be afraid to bulk age for extended periods. Higher ABV's will store better. Mine vary from 8% to 12% and I havn't seen any storage issues.

if memorial day is some time between new years and new years the next year it sounds like a good plan! it will only get better, assuming you follow the standard rules of good sanitization and minimal o2 exposure/headspace when you rack. ((i only mention that because i have seen pictures on this very forum of people bulk aging cider in a half-full carboy!)) it should continue to clear and drop fine sediment over a few months, exponentially increasing its deliciousness

Thanks. Memorial Day is the last Monday in May. Will time effect how well the cider will carb when bottled using priming method?

I havn't done much bottle carbing but I would assume (dangerous concept I know) That the longer it sits, the more yeast will fall out of suspension and the longer it will take to carb up.

However as long as you havn't stabilized it there should be yeast available to do the job.

It will take longer to bottle carb if the cider bulk ages for a while. But a pinch of champagne yeast in each bottle will do the trick come bottling time.

agree with the above two. i usually carboy age for 3-4 months after the first (only) racking and have never had problems with carbonation, although i let them sit in the bottle for a few more months before starting to try them. i bet 6 months will be fine if you aren't in a rush, which if you are waiting 6+ months for your cider i suppose you aren't. 2 grams ie 1/5 a standard 10-12g packet of dry yeast mixed in to a 5 gal / 20L batch before bottling is the amount i hear thrown around in the beer world for post-filtration bottle conditioning, for good carbonation and minimal yeast cake in the bottle, but i've never had to add yeast back

Back