very strange question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
What is the SMALLEST batch i could do in a 5-gallon fermentor?
i know you don't want too much headspace in a carboy, but how much is too much?
i'd like to get a batch going, but i want to do it BIAB and get as close to a full-size boil as i can.

in your primary fermenter head space is preferred because it will cut back on the chance of blowoff and initially o2 is beneficial to fermentation, eventually the CO2 production of the yeast will force any oxygen out. I'd go as small as you want, don't foresee a problem just make sure you keep it closed tight with an airlock full of sanitizer solution or cheap vodka

so it's only if i were to secondary i'd have to worry?
i'm not thinking like 1 gallon or anything insane like that, maybe a 3.5 or 4 gallon batch.

You will be fine with a 3-4 gal batch without any issues. As stated above, the CO2 produced during fermentation will force out all the O2 left in there. Now if you do the same in a secondary, you may have oxydizing issues since you won't have as much CO2 produced.

beerloaf

secondary wont cause any problems with a four gallon batch, but don't even bother with one. Take the amount of time you would put it in the secondary, and leave it in the primary on the yeast cake instead. After yeast are done they will eat up any undesirable byproducts of fermentation. Leaving the beer in primary will most likely give you better results, and if you're careful when racking to the bottling bucket the effect on clarity of long aging will be the same either way. so go ahead and just brew it and leave it in primary.

Since I rarely secondary I use my 5 gal carboys for brewing now. I do a lot of 4 gal batches. orks great for bigger brews that need a lot of time. I don't tie up one of my fermenters for a long ferment..."..

secondary wont cause any problems with a four gallon batch, but don't even bother with one. Take the amount of time you would put it in the secondary, and leave it in the primary on the yeast cake instead. After yeast are done they will eat up any undesirable byproducts of fermentation. Leaving the beer in primary will most likely give you better results, and if you're careful when racking to the bottling bucket the effect on clarity of long aging will be the same either way. so go ahead and just brew it and leave it in primary.

i never have secondary'd, and don't plan to any time soon. just confirming where too much headspace could be a real issue.:mug:

I did a 2.5 gallon batch last year with a 5 gallon carboy...no problems. I only did primary.

Back