In which keg to ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrZ2U

Reaction score
So I have three kegs to use for what ever I like. A regular, 15.5 sanke, a tall 7.5 and a short 7.5

The tall pony is definitely going to be a fermenter. One of the other two will be a keggle and the other a will ferment. Logic says cut the 15.5 so that bigger batches can be done later but on the other hand, if I make bigger than 5 gal batches I wont have room to ferment those. Kinda feel like the squatty pony would make a nice size keggle for the 5 gal batch. Either is easy enough to come by later I suppose...

Which of the two would you "keggle"...and why?

I'd cut the 15.5. Only because 7.5 is still a little small in my opinion for doing 5 gallon batches. I like to have a lot of breathing room for boilovers.

I second cutting the 15.5 into the keggle. If you want to do 90 or 120 min boils you'll need at least 7 gal to get 5.5 gal into the fermenter. Add in that you can boil 10 gal batches in it and I think that it's the clear winner. As far as fermenting, you can make a 10 gal batch and split half into each of your fermenters. Or, for ~$30 you can go buy two 7.5 gal buckets at your LHBS and split into those to ferment. On the other hand, if you cut the 7.5 gal into your keggle and later on decide that you want to do longer boils or 10 gal batches you'll need to go spend $30 or more on a new 15.5 gal plus new fitting for it, cutoff wheel, etc. That or buck up $150+ for a 15 gal pot.

That is definitely the way I am leaning and hard. I think I just like to have my thoughts confirmed by like-minded people :)

I am going to try to see if I can get the shorty traded for a tall pony this week anyway, that will make the decision for me. I feel like the taller ones would be more convenient as fermenters…or at the very least, have both the same size, short or tall.

Back