Primary Ferm and Nottingham ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I used Nottingham dry for the first time and the primary started up nice (about 12 hours after pitching) and got real vigorous within 24 hours. After about 48 hours there was almost nothing and after 3 days I have not heard a single thing from the airlock.

Is this the normal activity for Nottingham? Ferm temp was 65-70 in 5 gals. Pitch temp was around 65.

Nottingham is a very high flocculating yeast and whenever i've used it, tends to do its job within 24-72 hours.

So in your case, it seems perfectly normal. Just leave 'er be for another couple days and then rack to secondary after the week.

Fast, clean, good attenuation, highly flocculate. Nottingham is a winner and what you are seeing is nominal.

That is what I love about this board. We all help each other mostly to reassure that we are doing things right, but also with helpful insight. I know some of the posts seem tedious and really could be answered with a simple search, but in the end we are all here to just do the same thing...

...make great beer.

Thanks for the help, it is always appreciated from this brewer!!

Back