What kind of beer is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
beers like Heinekin, Beck, Carlsberg, Rolling Rock, ect? I kinda like the flavor of those but they might be too complex for a noob.

I've not heard of all of them, but the ones I know of are lagers. They ones I'm familiar with (Rolling Rock in particular) are also in green glass and are a bit "skunky" tasting. I think that these would be the hardest beers to make- lagers are a big more labor intensive anyway, and these are low hopped beers without a lot of malt flavor.

My view on these are that you should just purchase those until you are comfortable brewing. These beers need to be all grain to get the light colors. They are a complicated to make and you have a lot of chance to mess it up. I do love a good German Helles, but have not tried to brew it at home yet. I bought yeast twice, but I never brewed them since I could not ferment properly. I will probably try this winter when I can use my garage, house, and kegerator to get all the temps needed to do it properly.

You could brew a Kolsch. I think that Yooper has a recipe that she can share. Unless it is AG, it will not be as light. I did an extract wheat and the color sucks, but the taste is good.

I'm pretty sure they are all lagers. These extremely light lagers are extremely hard to brew because there is no place for off-flavors to hide. Very easy to screw up....

Stick with ales my friend. Easier to brew, and hell, they taste better!

If you do brew one of these, make sure to use green bottles and let them sit in the light for an extended period of time to get that authentic skunky flavor.;)

I'm pretty sure they are all lagers. These extremely light lagers are extremely hard to brew because there is no place for off-flavors to hide. Very easy to screw up....

Stick with ales my friend. Easier to brew, and hell, they taste better!

Don't believe the hype!

Start with brewing great ales. Then start making lagers. There is nothing better than a beautifully brewed lager. Just ask the Germans and the Czechs; they are the best brewers in the world. You think they brew lagers because it's easier?

:D

By the way, I'm 100% Czech (or maybe not.....at least in my lager mind:p) :rockin:

Don't believe the hype!

Start with brewing great ales. Then start making lagers. There is nothing better than a beautifully brewed lager. Just ask the Germans and the Czechs; they are the best brewers in the world. You think they brew lagers because it's easier?

:D

By the way, I'm 100% Czech (or maybe not.....at least in my lager mind:p) :rockin:

According to this poll,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64249&page=4

most people prefer ales.

Flavor vs crispness? I'll go with flavor. Not that I don't enjoy a good lager, but ales have more variety and flavor to offer than lagers do.

Back