Newbie Error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I cooled the wort to 70 F and pitched the yeast. I thought it seemed hot still but didn't think anymore of it. Later found the airlock was sucking a bit of water in as the wort cooled more. Turns out, the bottom temp was 70. but top was likely more around 100F.

How likely is it that I killed my yeast? Can I add another package of yeast tomorrow if it is not bubbling?

I wouldn't pitch new yeast tomorrow. Give it a day or two. I'm not about the viability of yeast at those temps, but maybe someone else will chime in here.

A 100F is pretty hot and you pitched onto the hottest part. I may be alright but I would get a couple of more for insurance. What type of yeast?

If your temp was hotter than 120° you would have to worry. You didn't kill your yeast at 100° and the temp will even out probably before the yeast even notices.

It is Nottingham. I will pick up an extra, but will definitely give it a day or two to see if anything starts.

Also, at this temp, some water was pulled in from the airlock, I use iodophor and everything including the airlock was sanitized. Water was from tap...anything to worry about there?

Thanks guys

They will likely survive. Keep that bucket cool because the last couple of times I used Nottingham it raised the temp about 8 degrees for a day or so. The water from the airlock should do no harm.

If the top part was 100 degrees then you don't need to worry at all. Normally when you rehydrate yeast you use 90-100 degree water to wake them up.

No worries, let it roll! Next time givee the wort a really good hard stir to aerate. It's beneficial to yeast reproduction and will even out the temp for you.

Back