1st Label for Wedding Favor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m just another brewer who popped his label cherry and is looking for a little critique. I have never used Inkscape or done any sort of graphic design before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using this label for half of my wedding favors this February (the other half will be cider) and I would like them to look as professional as possible.

i4ishbreakfast.jpg

looks like youre off to a good start. the fiance and I are planning on doing the same (weddings not till next august). i tend to like ones that have a clever play on words or mentions the wedding in some way. these are two of my fav:

example 1

example 2

also...used the beer theme to tie in with my groomsman invites:

groomsman invite blog/pics

I have been checking out this site for months and I actually remember those examples. I even remember reading about your groomsman invites and thinking too bad I already asked my buddies. Nicely done.

I have a rather simple neck label that has our names and the date, but I understand what you are saying. Aside from the two jokes in the warning it does not come across as a special occasion beer. Some friends will know that the picture is one we took in Ireland where we got engaged and is hanging in our home, but perhaps I could add something that makes it stand out as a wedding beer.

Thanks for giving me something to chew on!

I dunno...maybe something as simple as "Morning After the Reception Breakfast"

Didnt see the witty side warnings last night - but I like them

That is a very, very nice label. looks very professional too, it would grace any shelf full of commercial beers.. While I do agree that it is not obvious to the casual observer that this is a celebration label, the history of the pic makes it very clear to the two people that matter. As you already have the neck label sorted this might be a good one to leave understated as this label will be much more important to you guys than it will be to other recipients. Maybe you could just put your names in the black section at the bottom?

Thanks for the feedback!

I will post a high resolution image as soon as I figure out how haha. Perhaps I did something wrong with how I saved it. I saved it in inkscape as a .svg. To post just the label on here I selected what I wanted to display and exported it as a bitmap. Is there a better way? Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I have never used this program before.

Yes Trish, this is a picture we took last summer as we drove across Ireland. I have some other ones I like more but I felt this one had more of an early morning feel to it...

I increased the exporting resolution to 200 dpi. Does this look better? Or when you guys post your label are you increasing the size much larger than it would appear on the label for everyone to see here?

irishbreakfasthires.jpg

When I create my labels, here is what I do:

1. Figure out the exact size (in/cm) you want the label.

2. Create the canvas with that size.

3. Increase the canvas size proportional to the original. Most applications will do this automatically (i.e., keep your proportions).

I do this because it's easier for me to edit and it's easier for people to see the detail in my label. When I'm ready to print for the bottle, I scale the canvas size back down to the original.

Hope this helps.

Instead of exporting from inkscape, I've had good luck with zooming in and taking an alt-printscreen,then pasting into paint and saving as jpg. Might try that and see if you like it converting that way.

Back