Wyeast 1762 krausened twice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubiecat

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian strong last Sunday and fermented with Wyeast Belgian AbbeyII 1762.
Started fermentation at the low end, 65°, pure oxygen for 1 minute an shook the carboy for about 30 seconds. A krausen formed within 4 hours and was blowing chunks the next morning.
By Wednesday the krausen dropped and fermentation was slowing a bit so I raised the temp up to 69°.
To my surprise, Thursday, the yeast had roused back up and was blowing chunks again.
I haven't taken a gravity reading yet but probably will tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Any update on the fermentation? I am going to be picking up either 1762 or 3522 this weekend for a BSD, never used either of them before. Just curious how the yeast behaves and the best way to handle it. I plan on going with the general rule of thumb for Belgian yeasts, start low and let it rise over 3 to 5 days.

IMO I would allow this beer to self rise up to about 70-72F so you develop the flavor profile the yeast is capable of. Also, this is a yeast that is rated as high flocculation meaning if it is kept too cold it will just drop and not fully attenuate. If you allow to rise the yeast will remain active and you will get your desired FG

In my opinion 1762 is always a beast and very vigorous. I made a Belgian Golden Strong ~8% on Sunday with a starter. Fermentation and crausen within 4 - 5 hours, I attatched a blow off tube and every second for the last 4 days its been burping, sounds like an old clock. I think the yeast are slowing down finally...if you use 1762 I recommend a blow off tube. I have used it for Blonde Ales and have nearly had a mess twice.

On the 22nd I took a gravity reading and it was down to 1.014. I tasted it and it seemed to be very close to the style and what I am looking for. I was raising the temp up every day during fermentation till I got to 75° on the 25th and is holding there.
A few more weeks till bottling time. I can't wait!

Back