Barley - how much is too much? 'or' I screwed up big time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiav8or

Reaction score
I knew I screwed up but didn't realize it until 2 days later when I was making notes after brewing 5 gal of a bass clone.

Recipe called for: 3/4 oz of roasted barley.

In all the excitement of the moment (read: chaos of making my first all grain clone) - I added 1 LB of roasted barley.

:drunk:

I didn't realize this until 2 days later (I knew something was wrong - didn't realize my error was in using 16 times the barley I needed).

So, did totally hose this up - think it will even be drinkable?

Tasted ok going into the carboy, sweet enough (recipe has 7 lbs of 2 row pale in it as well), just pretty bitter.

Thoughts?

Wow, one post and a premium member! Now on to the bad news, that beer is gonna suck. But much like an ugly baby, since you're the parent, you'll love it anyway.:D

It may not suck awful, but wipe all thoughts of Bass Ale out of your head before tasting.

Hey, just wanted to report back....this may have been the best beer I've ever brewed. Balanced but not too heavy - really good. I added some coffee to a few pints which was great as well.

Looks like I got lucky.......

Hey, just wanted to report back....this may have been the best beer I've ever brewed. Balanced but not too heavy - really good. I added some coffee to a few pints which was great as well.

:rockin: It wasn't a screw up, it's an experiment. A screw up is trying to brew with an ingredient you already don't like.

You basically brewed a bastard stout. Nothing wrong with that. It's quite the opposite in fact.

Sounds great! You got a roasty stout. Maybe not what you intended, but I'm glad it turned out so good.

Now, when are you going to make a Bass clone? ;)

Back