1st beer batch - 6 Days and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iMarkSkinner

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing beer, I'm using a kit to start off easy. The kit instructions say to ferment for 4-6 days until the fermentation lock stops bubbling. I started sunday morning last week so 6 days was up this morning, (its saturday evening where I am) so really I'm up to 6 and a half days and the brew is still producing bubbles albeit very slowly, bearing in mind that it's been a cold week compared to normal in England, but I have kept a brew belt fitted and turned it on every night time. Should I stop now and syphon the beer to a keg for secondary fermentation or should I wait for the bubbling to stop even though the six days have come and gone.

Any advice would be much appreciated
Regards
Mark

Youre ok 6 days is way too short. Just let it run its course give it another week. The beer is fine sitting in the fermenter it wont go bad.

Okay thanks, I'll wrap a blanket round to protect it from rapid temp change and wait it out for the bubbles to stop.

How long is normal for a beer fermentation then? I read about "quick to keg" kits but had no idea I'd bought one

Don't worry about the time, let the yeast do that. They'll stop when they're done. Most of the yeast strains I use show almost no activity after a few days, but I use one strain that will show strong bubbling and krausen for over a week--in the same exact conditions. Recipes are a guide for time, but not a rule. They tell you what it will usually take under certain conditions, but there are a dozen things that could change those times. Even when the bubbling stops and the krausen falls they will likely not be done, but will still probably need more time.

you can bottle any time after fermentation is done, but it's not just fermenting that is going on. after they're done with that, the yeast clean up after themselves.

bottle after one week, you'll have beer.
wait two weeks, you'll have decent beer
three weeks and you'll have even better beer.

secondary is really not necessary unless you plan to lager or add wood chips or fruit

Yeah,I don't secondary either unless oaking or the like. The wild bubbling usually slows down or stops when initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days after that to clean up by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package.

Okay, well the instructions have a recommended specific gravity reading to reach when its ready to go into the keg, is it safe to open my fermenter to take a hydrometer reading or will the air ruin the beer, sorry if my questions are silly but its my first time doing beer,

No,co2 is a heavier gas than o2. So as long as you're gentle about it,all will stay in place & be fine. Just don't dawdle around.

You're welcome. This is why we're all here. Dang,this SA winter lager reminds me ever so slightly of the old Stroh'd bock. time for another sip...:mug:

Back