Rubber Tatse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kweulag

Reaction score
Hey I've been brewing for a while now and have not had any issue with my beer. I recently did a all grain Belgian White. It has a "VERY" strong rubber taste to it. Ph levels were spot on, fermentation temp was a steady 67 degrees. It is bottled and carbonated great color and amazing head. If I let it sit will the taste go away if so what temp should I store it at?

If you're talking about a rubbery/sulfery/matchstick type taste and aroma, I don't think it will go away. I used to get that occasionally when I didn't have temp control and the yeast got too hot. I had it one time since under a firm fermentation control. I believe it's derived from stressed yeast. It never went away.

Are you very familiar with Belgian Wits?

The yeast used in wits has a very distinctive phenol that you may be perceiving as rubbery.

Are you very familiar with Belgian Wits?

The yeast used in wits has a very distinctive phenol that you may be perceiving as rubbery.

Thats what I was gonna say. Maybe you just aren't used to the taste of the yeast!

Whats a "tatse"??.... kidding...
I was thinking yeast flavor too, but poor fermentation temp control could do it also.

Do you sanitize with bleach? It could be that the higher-than-normal phenols in a wit reacted with some residual bleach, giving you chlorophenols (plastic/rubber/band-aid)

That happened to me once with a cider, and again recently, again with cider. The first time it went away, but it took a long time. It was a 1.100 gravity cider which I used Notty for. One packet, since I didn't know anything about pitching proper amounts of yeast. I gave up on it for over a year and when I cracked one recently, the rubbery taste was gone and the cider was awesome.

The newest batch was a test batch which I mashed some maris otter, boiled the wort with nelson sauvin and mixed with AJ. OG was 1.075. After two weeks, the rubbery taste was overwhelming. Two months later, it's going away, but still there. I'm gonna stash this one in the brew closet for awhile, maybe even give it some secondary time. I'm gonna give it a shot in another couple months and see how it's coming along.

Shock Top and Blue Moon are what I was heading for used 1 oz of orange bitters and coriander in the boil. The no bleached used in sensitization use A1 sanitizer(not the steak sauce). Like I said temp was controlled. The only thing I can come up with is walnut was added would the fat from the nut make the foul taste. I plan to let it sit to see if it helps but as is it is my biggest regret and undrinkable!

Back