CO2 leak help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdon

Reaction score
So, on sunday I realized that my CO2 tank was empty. It's a 5 lb tank that I've had since august of 2010. I've carbonated/served 4 beers and misc cleaning solutions. I took it to LHBS, and they refilled it. I got home and reconnected all hoses and hardware, heard the audible rush of co2 into the kegs, and assumed all was good. I even dispensed a few beers that night without a problem. The next afternoon however my tank is empty. I'm at a loss here, I would think that of I had a large enough leak to lose 5lb over night that I would have been able to hear it rushing out of the system. I will refill tank tomorrow and use a water bath to diagnose connections, any other advice? Could LHBS not have filled tank, or with just enough that I was able to dispense?

Forgot to mention that I use a fridge with picnic taps to dispense, CO2 in the fridge. Checked tank out side of the fridge and its totally empty. Mfl connections to quick connects on bask lock kegs, oetiket clamps on flare fittings and worm clamps on dual body regulator.

don't submerge the co2 gage... you'll find the leak but the gauge will never work properly after that. I would take a bottle of star san or any soapy solution to it to find the culprit. I suspect the main connection between the tank and regulator. Do you have a washer in between the 2? or does the regulator have a rubber seal around the edges?

I'd unplug your picnic tap! Check with a small amount of soap and water solution and spray everything to see where the leak is coming from! Is the bottom of your fridge full of beer dripping from your picnic taps? Maybe the tank itself is leaking around the neck!
I'd start by spraying the hell out of every connection point with soap/water solution!
Maybe exchange the tank not just refill or have them test it out at the gas shop!!
Good Luck:)

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

don't submerge the co2 gage... you'll find the leak but the gauge will never work properly after that. I would take a bottle of star san or any soapy solution to it to find the culprit. I suspect the main connection between the tank and regulator. Do you have a washer in between the 2? or does the regulator have a rubber seal around the edges?
This would be my first guess but of course check everything. Also, whenever you first connect the regulator to the tank, check it later. By putting the tank/reg in the fridge things will contract and what was a good seal at room temp might turn into a leak at fridge temp.

Back