Moving from batck to fly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loxnar

Reaction score
So after my very first All grain batch last week i made an immediate decision that i would switch to fly sparging. I only have a few questions in regards to the technique.

1. When i did batch sparge i used 2qts per pound of grain for my strike water and 1/2 gallon per pound of grain for my sparge water...im assuming since im not batch sparging im just gonna run my fly sparge until A) my kettle is full or B) a reach a gravity of 1.1015 or lower....my question is do i still use the same amount of strike water or should i use a lower amount to be able to fly sparge for a longer period?

2. Is the first part of the mash still the same....apply strike water, stir every 15 minutes, recirculate and begin fly sparge about 45 minutes into mash?

3. How long should the sparge process take once i begin? I was told at least 30 minutes....

thanks for the help any other advice or heads up would be awesome...still knew to the all grain thing but im lovin every minute of it!

1. When i did batch sparge i used 2qts per pound of grain for my strike water and 1/2 gallon per pound of grain for my sparge water...im assuming since im not batch sparging im just gonna run my fly sparge until A) my kettle is full or B) a reach a gravity of 1.1015 or lower....my question is do i still use the same amount of strike water or should i use a lower amount to be able to fly sparge for a longer period? It's really up to you how much water you use for strike. I like to strike around 1-1.3 qts/lbs. At 2 qts/lb, you're getting a bit high. Have you used any software to help figure your volumes out? There's plenty of good ones out there. This is one of my fav's... http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

2. Is the first part of the mash still the same....apply strike water, stir every 15 minutes, recirculate and begin fly sparge about 45 minutes into mash? Yes, the first part is the same, although you don't really need to stir every 15 minutes with most setups and you can wait the full 60 minutes before starting your sparge. The more you stir, the more heat you lose. I suppose it would keep temps more even, but since I make good beer and consistantly hit 80% efficiency or close to it...I'm not worried.

3. How long should the sparge process take once i begin? I was told at least 30 minutes.... 30 Minutes is about right.

Can I ask why you're switching to fly sparging? I actually started with fly, but went to batch sparging because it's easier and gives me a lot better efficiency on my system.

Back