Insulating/Covering a Keggle Mash-Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I am wanting to Insulate my Keggle Mashtun for obvious reasons. Anybody done it and have some advice? Any estimates on how much I'll have to spend to do it right?

Also..usually I just put some tin foil over the top of my MLT to keep in warm, any ideas on a more suitable top for my keggle? Thanks guys!

:mug:

I am just about to insulate mine with some reflectix that I got from Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13353-56291-ST16025&lpage=none

I have also hear of using a hot water heater blanket, but I wanted to stay way from fiberglass.

As far as a lid, I use my lid from my old brewpot, it just seems to fit perfect:D I guess you could also try an old hubcap, or if you are able, weld some legs on the top you cut out of your keggle, and use that.

I am just about to insulate mine with some reflectix that I got from Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13353-56291-ST16025&lpage=none

I have also hear of using a hot water heater blanket, but I wanted to stay way from fiberglass.

As far as a lid, I use my lid from my old brewpot, it just seems to fit perfect:D I guess you could also try an old hubcap, or if you are able, weld some legs on the top you cut out of your keggle, and use that.

How much was that insulation? Flame resistant, I take it?

I think it was ~$15, but it should be ebough to wrap around both my MLT and HLT 2 or 3 times. As far as flame resistant.... I will just say I don't plan on wrapping down past my faucet...:D

I think it was ~$15, but it should be ebough to wrap around both my MLT and HLT 2 or 3 times. As far as flame resistant.... I will just say I don't plan on wrapping down past my faucet...:D

I'm interested to see how much that helps. Looks pretty thin to me-- Let me know how it turns out!

Back