different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlos

Reaction score
have just been reading the wiki and have noticed the many many different yeasts am looking to make a few different ciders and appfelwein , was wondering what the "best" all round yeast was?
from what i have read was planning on using champagne yeast , any reason why this would be inapropriate? any better/nicer tasting alternatives?
have read posts where people have reused yeast cakes , wondered how many times a cake can be reused effectivly
cheers
carl

For a true-to-style Apfelwein, the yeast to use is a Montrachet wine yeast. Some people (do a search) have had very good results using various Weisen and Witbier yeasts - 3068 Weihenstephan comes to mind. It apparently gives a sweeter/fruitier cider as opposed to a bone-dry Apfelwein.

In terms of reusing a yeast cake, the best mileage seems to come from washing and reusing a yeast cake, which people often take to five generations and get ~5 batches per generation. People also just repitch on an old yeast cake, but I don't think anyone takes that past 2 generations (or else you'd be massively overpitching).

Look around and read! These are questions that have been discussed at length all over this site. You can learn a lot just by lurking or searching.

Well, there are many different types of wine and cider yeasts. I keep a few on hand, but use mostly champagne yeast, cotes de blanc, and montrachet. They are cheap and convenient. The strains all ferment, but some will leave the cider a bit "fruitier" or drier than others.

From Jack Keller's website, here are some characteristics of some of the most common yeast strains: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

I've never reused a yeast cake from wine or cider. I do it all the time for beer. The reason I don't do it for wine is because either I've used a cheap dry yeast and it's not worth it, or if it's a fruit wine, I have lots of gross lees in the yeast cake. I imagine you could do it, if you needed to, of you had a very expensive yeast strain you wanted to save.

Back