Franken-Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlmostSiR

Reaction score
My brew buddy's roommate made him a xmas gift this year. He's pretty handy with tools and solder.....

Box3.jpg

What do you think the cooling time will be for a 10 gal batch with this!!!!???

I loathe prechillers. The cost of copper is so much more than a suitable pond pump to pump the icewater directly and it's nowhere near as efficient.

The chiller itself is cool but my only critique is on the 3 to 1 splits. You can run all 6 lines into a single 3/4" cap drilled out with 6 1/4" holes so you don't have to use a half pound of solder to seal it ;-) Cool anyways.

Holy freaking poop! That's awesome. He should think about making some of those for sale here! Though I doubt it would be cost efficient, I'll still drool over it....

I wonder if he'll be able to get a good flow out of that. Think he can cut out one of those loops for me?

adx said:
I wonder if he'll be able to get a good flow out of that. Think he can cut out one of those loops for me?

That was my question! The thing is also going to waste a ton of aqua. I think we'll need to find a way to capture water, and use it for cleaning equipment.

AlmostSiR said:
That was my question! The thing is also going to waste a ton of aqua. I think we'll need to find a way to capture water, and use it for cleaning equipment.

Hook it up to a sprinkler and water the lawn.

Holy ****, there's enuf copper there to replate the Statue of Liberty. :drunk: That thing effing rocks man. :rockin: Let us know how fast it cools that 10 gal. batch.

Ize

I heard that this chiller was named in the Mitchell report.

Um... NICE!

Damn I missed the chance to buy Copper stocks. Now that there is a national shortage I'm screwed!

Nice BTW

If I had that much copper, I'd probably have made something far different, but I have to admit that it looks pretty cool. I hope it works half as good as it looks.

Yuri_Rage said:
If I had that much copper, I'd probably have made something far different, but I have to admit that it looks pretty cool. I hope it works half as good as it looks.

Probably could have build a small mansion.

Is that really real? Could be Photoshop image of a super chiller. Could be an image of my dream chiller.

Bet if you move it up and down during the cooling process, it'll cool 10 gallons in under 10 minutes. Bet it'll also burn your hand doing that!

You guys got a great looking chiller there, regardless of how much copper you used. It should be able to chill fast, agitate a little, it'll be even faster. Nicksteck and I chill to 68 deg in under 5 min w/ ours (5gal) Do you have an idea of how much copper you have and in what lengths?

here are the original chillers from hell!

13248-chillerfmhell.JPG

13248-chill3.JPG

I just added that contraption to my list of things to get WHEN I win the lottery.

Just a note. This chiller (actually it was the third gen Franckenchiller) was featured in the HomeBrew Nation section of BYO this month.

Some folks like immersion chilling for a few reasons like leaving cold break behind, faster chilling of the whole wort down below DMS production range, etc. I have a CFC but I realize there are pros and cons to both methods.

Back