Free Yeast from Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I just got about 1/2 mayonnaise jar of pure yeast from a brewery.(thanks a lot)
But now my question is: How much do I use to make a starter to pitch into my wort?

if you just got it from a brewery, there's no need to make a starter (someone will probably disagree with me here) - that stuff is raring to go, and adding another step to the process will only be risking a possible infection...

Half a mayonnaise jar's worth? I think you could use less than 1/4 of that and have fermentation within hours. In fact, if I were you, I'd sanitize a few bottles and caps, and a funnel, and split that 4 or 6 ways. That way they stay sealed until you use them, or you can trade them off with other brewers for more. I'm up to 5 or 6 strains in my fridge, including 2 from brew pubs...

kvh

I'd say about a half inch of that should be enough for 5 gallons, especially if you give it a small starter to wake it up.

probably something like a half cup's worth would be plenty.

I pretty much always use yeast from the brewpub. I only live 7 blocks away, so when I flame out and have the wort chilling, I run down and fill a mason jar.

By the time I get home, the slurry has settled with foam on top and a good thick slurry underneath. I try to pitch about 1/2 cup of the thick stuff. (pretty close to mr malty's calculator)

The beer is usually rocking in 3-6 hours. But you'll definitely need a blow-off tube.

That's awesome!

How does one go about getting yeast from the brewpub...who the hell do you ask?

I echo previous statement: That's it?

Here, at least, I've always thought our only brewing co was some high almighty God of a company, run by Jesus's brother. I dont think they'd let me have yeast. But then again, maybe I *should* ask. They sponsor a homebrew comp, they can't be COMPLETELY anti- little guys.

They serve on site and also bottle and sell locally, I've always assumed they were very protective of that source of income. I could be wrong though.

Then again, I'm too timid to even go ask bars for bottles. I just keep spending my last pennies on more and more microbrew beer with prytops. :-/

Someone give me some damn confidence please?!

Put quite simply, you'll never know unless you ask. What's the worse they'll say, no? Then just go to the next brew-pub etc and ask them. I was really hesitant to ask local breweries about their retired kegs, but when I did even those that didn't have any were really nice.

the only real brewery we have in orlando wont give any yeast out last time i asked. and the head brewer is kind of a snob when it comes to bull****ting about brewing or even volunteer opportunities. your a lucky one.

i would suggest to take it and split up in smaller jars and add some wort to try and build up your supply, after all yeast will continue to reproduce if fed correctly and you keep sanitizing properly.

jbreiding said:
i would suggest to take it and split up in smaller jars and add some wort to try and build up your supply, after all yeast will continue to reproduce if fed correctly and you keep sanitizing properly.

I agree unless you have an endless supply from the brewery. If this was a one time deal I would split it up and make starters prior to each batch.

We give our yeast away at the brewery, but remember, the yeast is taken from tanks that are being held pretty cold (32-35 degrees) to allow the yeast to drop out, so I'd let the yeast come back up to room temperature before pitching. I'd be extremely surprised if a batch made from a healthy slurry took 3-6 hours. More like 30 mins to an hour, especially if you let the yeast warm to room temperature.

:)

Also, it IS a slurry, so you don't need much and you definitely don't need a starter!

:p

Spyk'd said:
We give our yeast away at the brewery, but remember, the yeast is taken from tanks that are being held pretty cold (32-35 degrees) to allow the yeast to drop out, so I'd let the yeast come back up to room temperature before pitching. I'd be extremely surprised if a batch made from a healthy slurry took 3-6 hours. More like 30 mins to an hour, especially if you let the yeast warm to room temperature.

:)

Also, it IS a slurry, so you don't need much and you definitely don't need a starter!

:p

I usually take our yeast from a tank we haven't crashed yet.

It could be taking off in as little 1/2 hour. I honestly never watched that closely right off the bat. I usually have errands to run or kickball to play immediately after my sunday brewing sessions.

one of my locals has always been super friendly about offering me yeast...I've never taken them up on it because I harvest all the strains I buy, freeze them down, and grow them up fresh before I brew....working in a lab has its benefits.

I agree. Just ask the brewer. Some breweries protect their yeasts as trade secrets, so don't expect them to give it out. Others, though, use commonly available yeasts and are happy to give it out. There's no harm in asking, just like there's no harm in hearing "no."

TL

chriso said:
I echo previous statement: That's it?

Here, at least, I've always thought our only brewing co was some high almighty God of a company, run by Jesus's brother. I dont think they'd let me have yeast. But then again, maybe I *should* ask. They sponsor a homebrew comp, they can't be COMPLETELY anti- little guys.

They serve on site and also bottle and sell locally, I've always assumed they were very protective of that source of income. I could be wrong though.

Then again, I'm too timid to even go ask bars for bottles. I just keep spending my last pennies on more and more microbrew beer with prytops. :-/

Someone give me some damn confidence please?!

I could've written that. You sound just like me.

Just wanted to bring this back to life...I just returned from picking up about 12 oz of yeast from one of the numerous breweries in town here. I didn't even have to ask, I was just having a conversation with the brewer and he offered it up. They use a common strain, so nothing secretive going on there...

But again, it's as simple as asking. Don't be scared!

I used to give it out to anyone who asked. Hell, I offered it at the club meetings held at the last pub I brewed for. "Please, guys, come and get it! Just call first!"

It lessens the bio-load on the sewer system, at least a little bit. :D

If you don't ask, you can be confident you'll never get. If you ask, you actually stand a chance. Simple as that.

Cheers,

Bob

Just call first!"

Bob

Please don't show up in the middle of a filter or right at knock out and expect to get some free yeast.

However; if we know you're coming and when, we'll give you all the yeast you need.

It's one of the greater perks of working in a brewery. I live just seven blocks from one and six from another. So while I'm waiting for my wort to chill is when I grab my sanitized mason jar and head to work to get some freshly cropped yeast. Fermentation usually starts within 3 hours.

I personally have never hit up my local micros/brew pubs for yeast, but do plan on doing so. It stands to reason that most homebrewers don't drink their own beer exclusively and buy at least some commercial brews. What better way for the local guy to get the homebrewer to buy their beers than to give away yeast! They support me, I support them.

I'm sure most breweries probably throw away huge amounts of slurry. I've read that Bass throws a bucket into each boil midway though to both add nutrients and get rid of the excess.

I used to do the same thing, TT. I'd save a quart or so of slurry from The Daily Purge on brew days. Did that at home, too, but not quite the same - a few years ago, a LHBS gave me a box of out-of-date Muntons yeast packets. They get added to the boil every batch, and it's lots less expensive than Yeastex or some other nutrient! :)

Bob

I used to do the same thing, TT. I'd save a quart or so of slurry from The Daily Purge on brew days. Did that at home, too, but not quite the same - a few years ago, a LHBS gave me a box of out-of-date Muntons yeast packets. They get added to the boil every batch, and it's lots less expensive than Yeastex or some other nutrient! :)

Bob

Ugh I should have thought of that I just threw out a few packs of old safale 04.

Back