cleaning OUTSIDE of cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
ok, we all know how to clean and sanitize inside, but there are stickers on the outside of my new ones and I want em gone. what's best on loosening the glue?
Norm

No. I've sanded a few cornies. Started at 400 and worked up to 1000.
Takes quite a bit of work to get them mirror finish. I settled for less, but an even finish none-the-less.

Cornies may be an exception, I haven't tried on one of them yet (one day I'll get a kegging setup), but for polishing metal I use some #0000 steel wool. It works great for getting rust & petinia off most metal surfaces, and being extremely fine, it doesn't scratch. Just lay down a thin layer of oil (3-in-1, or WD-40 might work), and give it a light scrubbing.

I also use it for delabeling bottles. After a soak in oxyclean, and a quick scraping with a razor, any residual glue comes right off...

Just my $0.02, if someone feels like trying it on a corny, lemme know if it works...

I just filled my bath tub with a tub of PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash (and hot water of course) and sank each corny keg in it for a half hour. The labels just floated off - including the plastic ones - and was spotless inside and out. I ran 4 kegs through this, and hosed them all down outside.

Worked a treat - no real scrubbing - just a couple of stubborn glue residue stains that came of with a nylon scrubbie.

Ian

I used a (wall paper) steamer on my vinyl labels. It softened them right up and they peeled off intact. There was a little glue residue, but Goo Gone took care of that.

Back