another of the same question - PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
I racked to the keg on friday, set the presure to 35 PSI, left it in the cooler (38-42 degrees) till last night. 3 days at 35PSI I thought was enough. Burped it and turned it down to 12 PSI, after 4 glasses of head I gave up.

Let the head settle and drank it, it was good but what am I doing wrong?

Sounds over-carbonated to me. Why not just set it at your serving pressure (12 psi) and leave it for a week or two. That's what I do and it works fine. The extra time cold conditioning is good for the beer, anyway.

Lil' Sparky said:
Sounds over-carbonated to me. Why not just set it at your serving pressure (12 psi) and leave it for a week or two. That's what I do and it works fine. The extra time cold conditioning is good for the beer, anyway.

The first few times I kegged, I was in such a hurry to drink the beer that I turned it way up and shook it to death. Resulted in foamy beers, but still good to drink. Now I follow Sparky's advice and just put on 12 PSI and wait about a week. Works well and is still faster than waiting three weeks in the bottle.

Oakwood said:
so you think at 12 PSI for a week should calm it down?
You'll need to remove the excess carbonation first. Easiest way is probably remove it from the gas, bring the keg up to room temp and periodically purge the pressure with the relief valve. Once the carbonation is removed you can chill it and set it at serving pressure for a week to re-carbonate. Someone else may have a better method but this one will work if you're not in a hurry.

Is your serving line long enough? Your system may not be balanced to dispense at 12 PSI.

Serving line is about 5 to 6 feet. Still need at kegging, I liked bottling but wanted cold draft beer.

is 5-6 to short or to long for 12PSI?

Oakwood said:
Serving line is about 5 to 6 feet. Still need at kegging, I liked bottling but wanted cold draft beer.

is 5-6 to short or to long for 12PSI?

Depends on a few factors. Here is the long answer. Either do that or just guess.

And the set it and forget it suggestion is a good one. There are never any issues like you're having and you need the time to condition your beer anyway. I honestly don't understand why anyone would ever try to do it faster.

The line length is fine, you're just over carbonated. Take the keg out and pull the pressure relief valve every few hours until the carbonation comes down. How long will that take...??? Next time just put the keg in the fridge at 12 and leave it for a week.

What you did would have worked if you hadn't have put the keg in the fridge. Gas dissolves easier at lower temperatures. The 35 lbs works great at room temperature, but at fridge temps it's too much.

thanks all. I will pull it out tonight, bleed it off and set it back to 12 PSI till next week some time. Hopefully I can do that all tonight.

What is the down side to blowing it all out at once vs. burping it over the evening?

Gas is going to stay dissolved in the beer. Pull the pin till nothing comes out, but leave it and the pressure will build up again. The keg is at 35, but when you pull the pin, the head space will now be at 0, gas will come out of solution until it reaches an equilibrium. You just have to repeat the process.

It's like opening a 2 liter bottle of soda. It doesn't go flat immediately after opening, but after several openings and closings.

ah, now see that makes more sense. I get it now. Thanks, guess I will just have to rip a few glasses while I wait.

Back