NB's Phat tyre question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melcher

Reaction score
I recently did a batch of NB's phat tyre and i liked it, but it was missing the biscuit flavor that i love about Fat tire.

this time I ordered the kit with wyeast 1762 belgian abbey II and instead of the S-04 and i also ordered a pound of crushed belgian biscuit malt.

My question is, can i add this malt to the grains when i steep them? And also how much would you recommend to give this beer just a little bit more biscuity flavor?

I'm a new brewer myself, and I just did a fat tire partial mash recipe, not the NB version. Here is the recipe:

4lbs Pale Extract
1lb Golden Light DME
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Biscuit Malt
1lb Munich 10L
1/2lb Caramunich III
1/4lb Aromatic Malt

plus hops obviously. Anyway, it's not quite done but I just bottled it and it smelled precisely like fat tire. So in the extract kit, they cover the munich in the extract and have victory malt, which is like a light biscuit and the crystal 40L. If I were you, I would go with 1/2lb - 1lb of Biscuit, don't be shy with it, and maybe a little aromatic.

If you feel that the biscuit is what it is missing, that means you probably enjoy that flavor. So if you go a little over on it this batch you probably won't be disappointed and you can tone it down on the next. Just my 2c though - I'll let you know in 3 weeks when my bottles are ready, the smell could be deceiving.

I can't wait to taste my Phat Tyre, will be bottling it in a couple of days. Let us know what you do in case I want to try a change to the kit. It tasted great when I put it in the primary.

Tapped the keg last night. It was fantastic. Did a taste test with a bottle of the real thing and boy was it close!!

After taste was spot on and very close on the initial taste. Only difference was fat tire had just a bit more biscuitiness.

I used the wyeast Belgian abbey II and added .5 lb biscuit malt to the grain bag. I would say between .6 and .7 lb should get almost an exact clone cause it was extremely close.

I could not believe how much closer this turned out like the original than the NB kit with dry yeast.

If using that kit I would definitely recommend the liquid yeast and some extra biscuit malt.

personally I think the nutty/biscuity flavor you get from fat tire is from a small amount of chocolate malt. I have a crazily close fat tire clone and there is a big thread on it here somewhere.

I ended up adding .5 lb biscuit grain to the grain bag while steeping. I also used the belgian abbey II liquid yeast. It turned out absolutely fantastic.

We compared to some bottles of fat tire and most people preferred the home brew over the fat tire. I really enjoyed it. I have everything to make it again, just need to find room in a carboy.

Back