Double sugar before bottling. I hope its ok now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
Ok about a month ago I messed up by putting double the sugar before bottling my stout. I vented my stout in the bottles by cracking the lids a little bit for 4 weeks and then I add the sugar drops to recarbonate them. I have a few questions. 1 when you add the sugar drops is the beer supposed to fizz up for a second because that kind of made me concerned. and 2 how long should I leave them to carbonate on the drops? Is it still 3 weeks min? I put the beers in a box as I have pictured and placed the box in a thick black garbage bag. I hope they turn out good. I throughout about 6 beer, because for some reason the lids got clogged. The 6 beers that didn’t vent made a huge mess because as soon as I opened them they fizzed up like when you drop Mentos in a 2 liter of coke. What do you guys think? :confused:

edit beer.jpg

Edit Flat 2.jpg

edit flat box.jpg

edit flat.jpg

is the beer supposed to fiz for a quick second when you drop the priming sugar tab in the bottle?

I don't know as I have not used carbonation drops before, but it makes some sense that it would if you had them previously carbonated - even venting them won't release all of the carbonation, so dropping the sugar tab into a carbonated liquid is going to release some of the carbonation and cause a fizz.

Maybe I'm missing something here. If they was over carbed and you vented them, but after 4 weeks you could pop the cap and drop in a carb drop. Did you chill one and try it. I afraid by dropping carb drops in carbed beer you will have some real gushers

i poured one of the ones that were vented in a glass and it tasted flat as hell. All the lids were cracked/vented with in 4 hours of me putting the double sugar in them. I took a look today and there is no fizz or bubbles ontop of the beer like the 3rd picture so i have a feeling that they will be ok.

Back