It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i have first cardiologist appt tomorrow waiting to here from surgeon today as to new blood test results. and funny thing the meds i said he wanted me to stop but he never prescribed was Amiodarone. Glad to here you are getting along well revvy!!!!

Heart stuff tends to run in my families. Dad died suddenly at 58 (of course, he smoked his entire adult life, but was very active physically for most of it). So I tend to be aware of my cardio condition and my doctor keeps an eye on it. I feel for you guys.

I only wish my step mom would have had an autopsy done, just so we had a definitive cause. If there was a genetic issue, I'd like to know about it! ;)

Oh yeah, my uncle (by marriage) had a pig valve installed way back in the early 80s and it lasted 10 years.

Heart stuff tends to run in my families. Dad died suddenly at 58 (of course, he smoked his entire adult life, but was very active physically for most of it). So I tend to be aware of my cardio condition and my doctor keeps an eye on it. I feel for you guys.

I only wish my step mom would have had an autopsy done, just so we had a definitive cause. If there was a genetic issue, I'd like to know about it! ;)

Oh yeah, my uncle (by marriage) had a pig valve installed way back in the early 80s and it lasted 10 years.

Good to know you've been checked buddy. Heart issues have never come up in my family, not that they maybe were or weren't there, they just were never detected so we don't know. But looking back I think this problem has effected me for years and I just beleived it was something else. And not having it looked at.

Well I was born with bad valve and they discovered it when i was in high school but said it could wait till i was older to fix. My grandmother had same thing as i but dont know if anyone else in family did!!!

What a pain in the arse :mad: the cardiologist just walked in and said wow you look good come back in 3 months and get set up with primary care dr to get into cumadin clinic to keep it monitored and that was end of appt

What a pain in the arse :mad: the cardiologist just walked in and said wow you look good come back in 3 months and get set up with primary care dr to get into cumadin clinic to keep it monitored and that was end of appt

what he meant to say was, hey thanks for some more money, i'm going to the bahamas next month.

WTF? Look at this thread since the surgery, in the last 5 weeks look at all the tests and doctor's appointments I've had as followups. 2 visits with my cardiologist alone. Now unless I'm in worse shape than you, (which considering your military/physical background could be very likely) or it's because of the pacemaker, something doesn't seem right. You've been out a week, and you're on a blood thinner and you've got the 3 month clearance? Have you had an ekg or anything yet to see how you're actually doing-how the blood is flowing through the valve? It seems like a little laid back if you ask me...

Did he say anything about cardiac rehab? Are you supposed to not re-hab till you see him? Have they mentioned walking or anything?

Have you talked to you seen the surgeon yet? I'd talk to your surgeon and primary care doc and see what's going on in terms of your post surg stuff. It seems like your left hanging.

I wish you were local and could see my doc, hell I wish you were local and we could be walking/re-hab buddies.

I did something very crazy yesterday I rode my bicycle around the block LOL felt good at time but was really spent afterwards!!! :mug:

Wow, congrats maybe you DON'T need all the post surge care that I did initially. LOL.

Well I'm back in a hospital......though just in a waiting room this time.. My nephew's girlfriend has to have emergency gallstone surgery. She was with my sister at every doc test I had, and through the surgery, and she's a nurse, so did a lot of my homecare initially, so she's like family. I told her we've all spent too much time in hospitals lately. She just went in.

My poor nephew, surgery was supposed to be yesterday so he left work early, but now he can't get out of his crappy job today. So I'm here representing...

well hope all goes well with her I think since my surgery was as planned it was alot easier for me then you where there was some complications!! but bet dr would freak if he knew all im doing LOL!!!!

She's doing good considering...They were able to do it laproscopically, they had to remove her gallbladder, and the gallstone was the size of a a golfball. They say if she's doing ok, they will release her tomorrow.

Rev,
I just got done reading the whole thread, just wanted to say thanks for the healthy dose of "pick your chin up, your life ain't so F'n bad." It's amazing how quickly we get worried over trivial crap. Thanks for your showing of tremendous courage and thank you for sharing with all of us. Good luck with your continued successful recovery! Manhattanksbrewer, that goes for you too!

Missed this thread, so apologies for being late to the, ugh, party. :)

Revvy and Manhattanksbrewer... glad you are both on the mend. Like everything homebrewer... patience, patience, patience.

Also hope the nephew's gf is doing ok after her surgery. Golf ball sized stones are no joke. Yikes.

*whistles*

Guy's I just passed a different kind of test....one that involved my GF. :D

I may have only managed 4 minutes of the treadmill but I managed to stay in a different kind of race, quite well.:ban:
(Though I'm not sure how my ribs did.)

Well, that's a good sign! although i could have gone without the the mental image.

Well, that's a good sign! although i could have gone without the the mental image.

Sorry.....I just had to share...It's just been awhile since THAT was fun for me to do....It usually would end in a coughing fit. So I'm just happy that I managed it.

And so is she....:p

Sorry.....I just had to share...It's just been a while. THAT was fun for me to do....It, as usual would end in a coughing fit. So I'm just happy that I managed it.

And so is she....:p

again, the mental image.

Thanks whoever gave me the-

thumbs_up.jpg

For today's "news!!!"

:mug:

<smirk>

But each of those, too, is another milestone, yes? Good going, Revvy! Keep looking for more mountains to climb...er, whatever!

glenn514:mug:

The "saga" of going to cardiac rehab continues....Am I going to end up going back to work before someone get's their crap together & gets the authorization in the hands of the right person? I started this a week ago (or was it 2?) And that's three sessions a week I'm missing out on.

I called the rehab place on Wednesday, they said they needed the referal from the primary care physician's office even though the one prescribing it is my cardilogist. So they told me they'd call the PCP's office and start the ball rolling.

The person in charge of this referrel @ the PCP's office didn't KNOW she was supposed to be doing it, she thought my cardilogist's office was supposed to, so she blew it off last week wasting 3 days til I called her on Monday. She then told me the above.

I then called my cardilogist office who then called her and explained that this does come from the PCP. She THEN went upstairs and taught the woman how to do it, and helped prepare it. When she called upstairs later to check on it, she was told it was about to be faxed over. Yesterday I was picking up a script so I stopped over at the window for the cardilogist's office, and the woman there told me this.

So I called rehab yesterday and left a message...I followed up @ 11am since I thought for sure I'd get a call first thing this morning since they open at 7, and was told that they haven't received it, but had started THEIR internal paper work yesterday. She said she'd call my PCP's office.

So now, what, will I get to start on FRIDAY? I've only got 5 weeks time left before I have to go back to work...And I can decide if I want to go back in another 3 and call the surgeon.....I really want to get some surpervised exercise and conditioning time in before that.

Jeez I'm glad I'm on blood pressure meds right now.

this isn't the normal bureaucratic paperwork trail for all things medicine?

this isn't the normal bureaucratic paperwork trail for all things medicine?

It's really the first time this has happened during this entire process...no wait the second...no....the third... Grr.

Actually overall most stuff had been handled pretty well. The cardiologist's office is really on the ball...it's just everywhere else that doesn't know their head from a hole in the ground...

Well I got a call late this afternoon...like 4:55 pm, from cardiac rehab, telling me that I've been approved to start. But OF COURSE, the trainer person who I will be working with, will NOT BE THERE this Friday, so I won't start til Monday. So that's 5 sessions I could have been having.....grr....

Well I got a call late this afternoon...like 4:55 pm, from cardiac rehab, telling me that I've been approved to start. But OF COURSE, the trainer person who I will be working with, will NOT BE THERE this Friday, so I won't start til Monday. So that's 5 sessions I could have been having.....grr....

I think it's a credit to you as a person that you're bothered about missing rehab sessions. Most people are lazy and look for excuses to miss them...

Hey Man,

I never knew you were going through this but I'm really glad to see you're at the stage of being pissed off at not being able to get back into the swing! Congrats! Sorry, but I usually just hang out in the hop section, not being a computer person. I had the opportunity to have a couple catheters stuck up into my heart a year or so ago to try to fix an arrhythmia. Didn't work. But, I made sure to keep the tubing from the oxygen lines. Really nice flexible stuff to take hydrometer samples out of the carboy with! $25,000 hydrometer thief out of the whole deal. Hey, I'm glad you're doing alright and keep up the good work!

That which I feared the most happened last night. I sneezed, and it was just as bad as I worried it would be. I ache more than I have since the first week of surgery. Right across the rib cage, and even my back. And it wasn't even one of my usual earth shattering sneezes.

I guess I sprained or strained my ribcage. It hurts when I take a deep breath. The only real relief is to squeeze tight my heart pillow, and put pressure on my ribs.

It's this dull ache across my chest with sharpness when I take a deep breath or streatch.

It's such a silly thing. But I've always been a hefty sneezer, I've thrown my back out before. So I'm not surprised.

Hopefully this will only last a day.

Glad to hear you're doing better, aside from the sneezing/rib pain. I'm not on everyday, so I think I missed a lot of these happenings with you. Sounds like it could have been really bad.

I've learned a lot from you over the years just by reading your posts/responses to everyone else on here. So thanks for that.

Here's to getting rid of your rib/back pain quickly!:mug:

Well as you probably noticed i disappeared for a few days my cumiden lvl got to low, so they made me hurry back to hospital for a few days till it got better they were worried i was going to throw some clots LOL

Back