Will it ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mburnett274

Reaction score
I want to make some hard Cider. I am unable to find some Apple juice without preservatives. The juice I want to use has "Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate"
My plan is to use 4 gallons of this juice, Wyeast cider yeast, yeast nutrient, and a little bit of sugar.
Will this ferment? I don't want to waste the money. What do you all think?
Mike

no. sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate's specific job is to stop fermentation. if it says sorbate, it's not going to work to ferment. look for walmarts great value. it's usually good

I'm not very experienced, but I don't think so.

I've found most juice on supermarket shelves does not have preservatives; Old Orchard, Motts, etc. Alternatively use the frozen juice.

When I started looking a month ago I found most of the 'Fresh' juice had preservatives. I found some at Walmart that didn't (and they also had some that had sorbate too just to complicate things), and some at World Markets.

Any juice will do. The fresher does seem to be better.

most of what walmart sells is the juice, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), and water.
from calder "Any juice will do. The fresher does seem to be better." again, ignore anything that says sorbate

Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate are added as preservatives and SHOULD NOT be used for home brew cider. It will make fermentation difficult or impossible to start.

Ascorbic acid is, however, OK for the fermentation process.
"... ascorbic acid allows certain oxidation reactions to happen in the juice which develop its flavour, but it prevents the browning of the tannins which make it look unsightly and lead to sedimentation" It's also good for you!

http://www.cider.org.uk/part6.htm

Back