Boilermaker owners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2539

Reaction score
Do you keep your brew kettles spotless, or just don't really worry or care about having spots or water marks on the outside? I can't seem to get spots on the outside on my kettle off without scrubbing. Are the spots on my kettle an indicator of having hard water? What do you guys do to keep your kettles bright and shiny. Sorry for the noobish question :)

Just got my SS 9.2gal boil kettle... it's nice and SHINNEY... well for now it is.

I'm not sure how clean/shinney it will be in the future...

My old aluminum kettle.... well lets just say... stuff is growing on it now that I'm not intending on using it anymore.... The dings are too close to cracks and I don't want to take the chance on a reverse Titanic eppisode.

Just got to love bling though. I am Mesmirized by the "Brew Rooms" some people have on here. :cross:

I found a Godsend for cleaning stainless steel..brewpot, BBQ, cookware..

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND

It got my Boilermaker 10g spotless with minimal scrubbing...simply amazing...that's not to mention the years of buildup on my stainless BBQ..it worked on that too.

I don't worry about the water spots, as long as its cleaned after I brew. I do dry it when I am done cleaning but not to the extent of perfection

Do you keep your brew kettles spotless, or just don't really worry or care about having spots or water marks on the outside? I can't seem to get spots on the outside on my kettle off without scrubbing. Are the spots on my kettle an indicator of having hard water? What do you guys do to keep your kettles bright and shiny. Sorry for the noobish question :)

I keep the inside of my kettle clean. I am not concerned about a few water spots on the outside.

What do you use to clean your Boilermakers? To keep them nice and shiney?

I do like how easily my old SS kettle cleaned with Oxiclean... hot soak and everything was stripped away!

I dont plan to have wort splashed all over the outisde of the kettles, and the inside doesnt have to remain scratch free I suppose... I do think I am going to oerder one of those cool wooden mash paddles from that vendor here on HBT though ;)

Anything one could use to help POLISH the outer surfaces?

I would put a layer of carnuba wax on the outside. That's what I did for my kettles and water spots just wipe off with a dry rag.

hltshine1.jpg

Bar Keeper's Friend is a wonderful kitchen and BBQ cleaner and will get most pots clean. They also sell cleaners with some small metal flakes in them specifically for cleaning SS pans like All-Clad... That works on harder to clean SS surfaces that have some texture, but I wouldn't dare use it on a high-polished-shined surface like Bobby and his beer pr0n kettle.

I just oxyclean mine and light scrubbing after a long brewday...then after about every 10 brew days it gets the Bar Keepers Friends cleaning..
Man Bobby's keg is way shiney...carnuba way you say? Man my car is lucky to get that..maybe I don't have my priorities right.

I'm a clean nut, that being said every piece of my brew equipment looks new at the end of every brew day.

Bar Keeper's Friend should be called Home Brewer's Friend. Stuff is great. Go buy some right now if you own anything stainless. It's cheap and effective.

FYI, Barkeeper's Friend is somewhat abrasive and it will eventually dull highly polished SS. How fast this will happen and to what degree greatly depends on the scrubbing intensity/pressure.

I think I have only used it once but it works great getting off stains and material that will not come off with PBW.
BTW works great on SS BBQ

Don't get me wrong. I use the BKF regularly and it works great, but I avoid scrubbing or using a lot of pressure on highly polished SS stuff. I was warned about this by a friend who has a metal polishing business. It's generally not an issue on brushed or satin finishes, but it can be on the very highly polished SS like a Blichmann kettle.

Back