IIPA help.How does this look???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Never made an IIPA yet how dose this look too you guy's????

Big Ivan IIPA

OG 1.080
SRM 8*
IBU 100
ABV 8.3

15lb 2 row

1lb crystal-30L
1lb munich malt

1.5oz summit 60min
.50oz summit 10min
1oz amarillo 10min
1oz centennial 10min
1oz summit dry hop
1.5oz amarillo dry hop
1.5oz centennial dry hop

No one wants to chime in?? Do you guys think it will ballance or do I need to up the grain bill??

FWIW I don't want balance in my IIPA, I want hops and I want it dry.

Why the 6 row?

no real reason I guess for the six row I dont realy need it. I figure with 100 ibu there will be plenty of in your face hop to it eveny if it is balanced some what. Am I wrong? I dont know, just looking for advice on it.

I would love to try it, it looks great to me. So funny, I always used to do 30 minute additions without even knowing why... now that I made the decision to no lnoger do them, I notice nobody really does them across the board.

Looks delicious, I made my first AG IIPA also and I cannot wait to try it

Ditch the 6 row, I love the pound of caramel and pound of munich. I think often times homebrewers go to light on the specialty grains. I often times use a pound....I put them in there because I want to taste them!

I think summit and centenial is a fantastic combo. To be honest, summit is slowly, but surely becoming my favorite hop.

I have a ?? on the six row. dosn't it have more enzymes in it that would help ferment it to a lower gravity than just 2 row or have I misunderstood what I have read on it. I don't see six row being used very often.

I have a ?? on the six row. dosn't it have more enzymes in it that would help ferment it to a lower gravity than just 2 row or have I misunderstood what I have read on it. I don't see six row being used very often.

No, it won't ferment lower than 2-row will. It's used primarily when there are lots of adjuncts used, since it has a higher diastastic power than 2-row, and it'll help convert the adjuncts. It has a bit of a "grainy" taste, so most people don't use it routinely.

If you want to ensure a lower Fg, you could mash lower, and/or sub some of the malt with corn sugar.

You have a lot of hops at 60 minutes- that's fine, but make sure you have enough at 10 minutes and under to give big hops aroma and flavor. I personally think that the flavor of amarillo is "wasted" at 60 minutes for the amount of IBUs, so I've been using hops like magnum for bittering, and then loading up the late additions with big flavor hops like amarillo. I'd probably hop at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame out with those flavor and aroma hops.

Thanks Yooper. Yeah I have been thinking the same thing with the Amarillo. I may just up the summit at 60 and split the amarillo and centennial between the 10min and dry hop additions. Im kinda going of my warsaw pact recipe and just uping everything. Thats how I did it one early addition for bittering and every thing else late for aroma and flavor. Came out great but this is a way bigger beer.

Amarillo and Centennial do a really nice job together. I'd almost say you should up the aroma hops in this recipe, but I love to be smacked in the face with hops when I go to sip an IIPA. :)

Ok I made changes to it tell me what you think now. I do plan on mashing low (146-146*F) and useing pacman yeast. Maybe ESB but not sure how it would do in a beer this big. Any insite on that?

Back