Dairy cleaners in the brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any reason why they shouldn't be used?

I have a Tractor Supply nearby and they shelve a number of acid cleaners and such intended for use in a dairy. One of particular interest to me is the Sterosol Acid Wash. It's phophoric Acid based with surfactants and depending on the solutions (1oz per 6 gal or 1oz per 2 gallon) carries a pH of 1.5 to 2.4 (assuming neutral water used).

Is there any reason to be concerned about pump head damage (March pump with unknown plastic head) or gasket degredation (Buna N)?

What about my heating element?

Everything else is stainless steel or silicone so, I am not too worried about those bits. Or should I worry about the silicone hoses?

I ask because I have pretty hard water and over a few brews get some notable deposits (bi-carbonate prolly) plus, I also use a Therminator and would like to occasionally acid wash it, if possible.

I don't have a pump so I'm not sure if it is safe for that but I use the milk stone remover on my keggle and IC after every brew.

No problems cleaning all my SS stuff.

Thanks Creeper, looks like the Buna-N and Silicone is not compatible. Of course, the CP list assumes I'd be using the concentrate of 42%. However, this will be diluted to a solution that I don't know how to calculate.

Back