Beer Clarity - Adding fresh yeast before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agslax

Reaction score
I am in a dilemma. I have been lagering a very light beer for a couple months now and am ready to bottle (I must bottle this beer). I used a clarifier, so most of the yeast will not be transferred to my bottling bucket and I do not think there is enough to carbonate the beer in a decent amount of time. I have been told that adding fresh yeast will not effect the flavor of the beer as that has already been established during fermentation. However, it seems like adding yeast now will undo my efforts to clarify the beer.

Will pitching a vial of yeast to 5 gallons effect an individual bottle's clarity?

If so, is there an option other than force carbing and using a beer gun?

There is no concern adding yeast at bottling, the yeast will simply drop to the bottom of the bottle when done carbonating and once chilled the cake will be firm at the bottom, simply pour like you would any other bottle conditioned beer. The yeast will not alter the flavor either. I bottle condition many beers and they still turn out commercial quality clear:)

There is no concern adding yeast at bottling, the yeast will simply drop to the bottom of the bottle when done carbonating and once chilled the cake will be firm at the bottom, simply pour like you would any other bottle conditioned beer. The yeast will not alter the flavor either. I bottle condition many beers and they still turn out commercial quality clear:)

+1, you will be just fine

Lager is usually krausened. There is a little more to it than dumping a vile of yeast in the beer. There are formulas to figure out how many yeast cells or how much krausen is needed. A proper volume of active krausen will carb quicker than dumping in yeast. Use the vile to make a starter. Basic rule is to have enough starter to raise the gravity of the beer by 3 points. Pitch the starter at high krausen. No matter what method you choose, it will take time to clear the beer. If you're into Lagers, get a sugar reduction kit and bottle at 2-4 percent glucose. Rousing the yeast by moving the fermenter will kick up enough yeast to carb, without adding speise or krausen when at 2-4 percent glucose.

Pitch 1 gram/5 gallons of beer of rehydrated Lalvin EC-1118 at bottling, <$1. I've done it a lot, spot-checked some bottled gravities over a long time with a refractometer and have never seen any further attenuation.

That pitching rate gives about 1x10^6 cells/mL and a very fine yeast cake.

Back