Convert Pin Lock Kegs to Ball Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, as most of mine are, but I have never read anything on this:
If you unscrew the posts on a pin lock keg, can you screw ball lock posts onto it and thereby convert it into a ball lock keg?

If you can find the right threading posts, then yes - they are not all the same.

I don't think they're interchangable. Aren't the kegs different physical dimension wise as well. Meaning one is fatter and one is taller? If I were you I'd post on craigslist asking if anyone wants to trade.

You can buy adapters from places like Foxx Equipment but if you have a height constraint already, it will be worse.

Aside from having different posts, there is nothing wrong with pin lock kegs.

Build your lines with swivel nuts and barbed stems. Then buy flare type disconnects and you'll have a hybrid system.

They must exist! I have 3 coke kegs 9X22 and they are ball locks not pin locks so at some point they must have been converted. I have some pepsi kegs but haven't taken them apart yet. I'll try and pull the posts out and compare the threads between the two tonight.

The threads are definitely different between the two. But replacement posts are definitely available I'm Holding two in my hand now. unfortunately there are no identification marks on them. good luck with your search.

John

Cornykeg.com sells conversion kits and sells already converted kegs as well, I have 4 of them begging to be filled.

The real question is why do you want to convert it to a ball lock? I mean, you probably already have the pin lock QDs, right? It doesn't really matter if you have both pin and ball locks on in the same system, especially if you go with the flared ones.

But yes, cornykeg.com is the place to go. They even sell "ball lock" kegs, which are just Coke kegs (pin locks, short and fat) converted with ball locks QDs.

You can buy adapters from places like Foxx Equipment but if you have a height constraint already, it will be worse.

Aside from having different posts, there is nothing wrong with pin lock kegs.

Build your lines with swivel nuts and barbed stems. Then buy flare type disconnects and you'll have a hybrid system.

Hi,
I am just starting to buy homebrewing equipment. I already acquired 2 ball-lock corny kegs (not converted). I would have got a lot more if I could, but I find it difficult to find anything else than pin-lock corny kegs in my area (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada). Some ball-lock corny kegs are available at OntarioBeerKegs, but they are much more expensive than the pin-lock corny kegs I can find on classified ads sites. Converting pin-lock to ball-lock also seems like a waste of money, especially if a hybrid system is feasible.

So I am thinking about the hybrid system you mentioned in your post. I am trying to imagine the "swivel nuts/barbed stems/flare type disconnects" you refer to (and I search for images online), but I am missing something and I just cannot figure out what the whole system would look like (maybe something is lost in translation; French is my first language). Could you suggest some hyperlinks (containing images) to specific parts that would guide me in the correct direction, please?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Cheers!

Eric

P.S.: I will keep searching through HBT in case I can find the answers by myself.

Here is a link to a flared QD
http://rebelbrewer.com/shop/gas-side/ball-lock-gas-disconnect-1-4-mfl/

Here is a link to a barbed QD.
http://rebelbrewer.com/shop/liquid-side/ball-lock-liquid-disconnect-1-4-barbed/

Here is a link to a swivel nut. The picture shows 2. You only need 1 per line.
http://rebelbrewer.com/shop/gas-side/barbed-swivel-nut-1-4-ffl-to-5-16-barb/

The barbed QD just pushes inside the beer line then you use a fastener to tighten the line to the barb. This set up is relatively permanent. The QD won't separate from the line easily.

With the swivel nuts and flared QD one end of the swivel nut has a barb which connects to the line. But the other end is a female fitting which screws onto the male fitting on the flared QD. This means you can easily unscrew the QD from the line. Since both ball and pin lock QDs have flare fitting options you can screw off the ball lock QD and replace it with the pin lock QD in seconds. It is very easy. You do need a crescent wrench.

Thank you very much for the links, alestateyall!

With all the pieces of the puzzle you provided me with, I now see the big picture. This makes a whole lot of sense! So, basically, I end up with an extra piece between the tubing and the QD.

My lack of knowledge of English technical terms also caused some confusion. Whereas I originally thought "flared" could be synonym with "threaded", I searched a bit and I now understand that a "flare fitting" is a type of "compression fitting". There really was something lost in translation!

Thanks to beer (and thanks to you, of course), I learned something new today!

Many thanks!!!

Eric

Eric_V said:
Thank you very much for the links, alestateyall!

With all the pieces of the puzzle you provided me with, I now see the big picture. This makes a whole lot of sense! So, basically, I end up with an extra piece between the tubing and the QD.

My lack of knowledge of English technical terms also caused some confusion. Whereas I originally thought "flared" could be synonym with "threaded", I searched a bit and I now understand that a "flare fitting" is a type of "compression fitting". There really was something lost in translation!

Thanks to beer (and thanks to you, of course), I learned something new today!

Many thanks!!!

Eric

You're welcome. I am a professor by day so sometimes I go into teaching mode...

So I thought I had purchased a ball lock keg, but now think it is pin lock. Can anyone confirm? And if it is pin-lock, would this be a good option for me? (I currently have 1 ball lock keg along with Ball lock QD's from my gas and serving lines.)
http://www.cornykeg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=682504

keg1.jpg

keg2.jpg

keg3.jpg

keg4.jpg

Looks like you have a frank-n-keg. You have pin lock post and a ball lock lid (pin locks don't have pressure reliefs in the lid). Rather or not it works for you is up to you. You can get a set of pin lock QDs and switch out depending on which keg you use or you can go with one style, up to you

I gotta say, I've used ball-locks exclusively for a couple years but got a pin-lock on a great deal and I LOVE it. Much easier to connect and disconnect when there's any pressure in the keg.

Personally I think I'll try to shop more aggressively for pin-locks moving forward.

I gotta say, I've used ball-locks exclusively for a couple years but got a pin-lock on a great deal and I LOVE it. Much easier to connect and disconnect when there's any pressure in the keg.

Personally I think I'll try to shop more aggressively for pin-locks moving forward.

If fit doesn't matter, I agree pin locks are easier. No way to screw up and hook stuff up to the wrong post. I only have pin locks, but do have a set of ball lock QDs incase someone brings a keg over

My FIL just sent me a link on Midwest for pin lock kegs, 4 / $100. I dismissed this at first, since I'm set up for balls. But I was starting to wonder if I should consider this further.

Even with the converters, that a pretty darn good deal, assuming the kegs are decent enough condition

I just picked up 2 pin lock kegs for 60. They don't have pressure relief valves on lid. Should i purchase new lids or is there a way to get by w/o them. I plan to fill them up soon, but may have to wait to get the lids since dropped some cash on upgrading my brewing equip.

Great posts but for some reason I'm still abit confused :drunk:
barbed /\ threaded /\ O.D /\ Q.D.?

Simple question. ??
What does one need to come off 4 (new) pin lock kegs... when all one has is a 2 Ball Lock quick Disconnect c02 kit..
like this.. http://www.kegconnection.com/2-faucet-fridge-homebrew-kegerator-kit/
I know I eventually need a manifold.... but what do I need to come off the manifold to drop to the kegs and then ↑ up to the taps...? (with what I have→ linked)

:mug: thanks
BB

You need pin lock quick disconnects like these - http://www.kegconnection.com/disconnect-set-pin-lock-barbed-end/

One will go on the liquid out post and get connected to the beer line to the tap and the gas one will go on the gas post and get connected to the gas line.

As of barbed vs threaded, the picture above is barbed. This is threaded:
tn2_plgas081811094709.jpg

It just allows you to quickly remove the line from the QD if say you have both pin and ball locks and quickly wanted to switch between the two. It's easier to remove the line from a threaded one because you can just use a wrench to loosen the nut.

Thanks Matt,
I think I got it. ! :eek:nestar:
So the threaded QD's (like my regulator shown has) needs a clamp & screw on coupler attached to the threaded end. Right ? ..as shown.
Now, can I assume that this QD barbed end (like on my party tap) does NOT need any clamp, at all, on the hose. There is no pressure loss anywhere?
or do I need some sort of worm clamps...? to be sure it has a good seal.
Thxs

Thanks Matt,
I think I got it. ! :eek:nestar:
So the threaded QD's (like my regulator shown has) needs a clamp & screw on coupler attached to the threaded end. Right ? ..as shown.
It doesn't need the thing they have on it. Mine is simply a hose on a quick disconnect with a worm clamp, just like I use for my liquid. That attachement they have looks pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary.
Now, can I assume that this QD barbed end (like on my party tap) does NOT need any clamp, at all, on the hose. There is no pressure loss anywhere?
or do I need some sort of worm clamps...? to be sure it has a good seal.
Thxs
I have clamps on all of my fittings just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back