Grain mill HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeBonesBrewing

Reaction score
I have spent some time reading through previous posts and have gotten a ton of good information....but I am still trying to figure out which grain mill to buy or build!!! I'm looking for cost effective but keeping quality and consistency in mind. Why did you choose the mill you are currently using? I mainly do 5 gallon recipes but with my new stand I am building I will be moving to 10 gallon+ batches.

MM2 2.0 durability, dependability, can handle anything I throw at it. Probably wont have to buy another mill ever. It was worth the extra cash!!

I love my MM2, but the Crankandstein is also a compelling choice. From what I've seen & read about the Barley Crusher, I'd steer clear, although, plenty of users report fine results. So there you have it; Monster Mill FTW, with a close second by C & S, IMHO.

I have a Crankandstein 2S that I love. I got it because it was the most affordable mill I could find with the best reviews. $89.99 in most places. The only drawback is that it's not that easy to adjust the gap but I've been getting 80%+ efficiency since I got it so I'm not too worried about adjusting. The 2A is more easily adjustable and is usually $109.99. Fwiw, brewmasterswarehouse.com is where I found the best prices but I would call before ordering to make sure they have them in stock or you might have to wait awhile.

Barley crusher with the big hopper has gotten me through 150 or so brews. Most 5 gallon batches but also 10 gallon ones. Most believe it or not were hand cranked. But the drill works OK too with it. Nice to know when you hit that rock and the drill method doesn't tell you that. Of course now my one arm looks like Popeye so there is a downside to hand cranking.

I love my MM2, but the Crankandstein is also a compelling choice. From what I've seen & read about the Barley Crusher, I'd steer clear, although, plenty of users report fine results. So there you have it; Monster Mill FTW, with a close second by C & S, IMHO.

Can you elaborate? What's the problem with the Barley Crusher? I've never had an issue with mine.

Lots of discussion on this here. Do a quick search.

FYI:

Site FAQ

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching". If a question has been answered before, answer it again or with nicety provide a link rather than copying/pasting content from elsewhere on the forum. Berating or poking fun at "noobs" for not searching will not be allowed.

I have a Barley Crusher with the extra large hopper. I've used it for 16 batches so far and it works great. I found it a nice balance of cost and durability.

I am new to all grain and wanted to be able to crush my own grain so I could buy in bulk. All I did was buy a Victoria Mill, and did a few modifications. I am very happy with it. The 3 brews I have used it for Im between 75-78% fine with me. I payed $35 for it, and spent an hour doing a few small mods. My efficiency using my LHBS Barley Crusher was 78% also, so it was no better. For the amount of brewing I do, and the size batches I make 3.25-6 gal. I am more then happy with my decision.

Back