Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made this 6 times now and I love it!! Actually, The batch I'm drinking now is the first time I've made it to recipe. My favorite take on Orfy's mild is brewed with a half and half blend of EKG/Fuggles with Windsor yeast. The fruityness of the Windsor goes well with this beer.
Cheers Orfy!

I just finished drinking my second keg of this brew. I used Willamettes instead of Fuggles due to availability. I carbonated to 1.64 volumes and served at 59°F. It will be difficult to not brew batch after batch of this stuff it's so good.

Has anyone added small quantities (4-8 oz) of either flaked rye or flaked barely to this recipe with much success? Would using both of these be counter-productive to giving a mild slightly more body? I tried making a mild once using a kit very early on in my brewing experience and it came out tasing very thin. Thus, swmbo wants a mild with more body than my first attempt.

Has anyone added small quantities (4-8 oz) of either flaked rye or flaked barely to this recipe with much success? Would using both of these be counter-productive to giving a mild slightly more body? I tried making a mild once using a kit very early on in my brewing experience and it came out tasing very thin. Thus, swmbo wants a mild with more body than my first attempt.

Maybe you could add a bit of maltodextrin?

I am brewing this now (Extract version with specialty grains). I plan on adding a bit of maltodextrin to the boil with 10 mins left. I am only adding a few ounces so I dont think the flavor profile will change that much.

flaked rye would be an interesting addition to this style of beer. a little spice could add a great element. try it and let us know!

just pulled a sample from the primary at 9 days. i used S-04 and its already clear. beautiful brown/copper color, slight caramel nutty flavor, great stuff!

just pulled a sample from the primary at 9 days. i used S-04 and its already clear. beautiful brown/copper color, slight caramel nutty flavor, great stuff!

first carbonated pint at day 13... WOW!! this keg will go quick!

Just brewed my first batch of this on Friday. Came in really close to OG, considering this is only my second all grain batch I'm rather happy about it. The only change I made was using White Labs English Ale yeast. I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for this to be ready.

Just brewed my first batch of this on Friday. Came in really close to OG, considering this is only my second all grain batch I'm rather happy about it. The only change I made was using White Labs English Ale yeast. I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for this to be ready.

Hi "ThePaganJew", I decide to brew my first all-grain beer and thought starting with this recipe as I love brown ale styles.
I have brew extract before but even though I’m very VERY new in all this, so I would appreciate your help.
The original post by Orfy(Jan 2008) look really nice as ingredients seams to be easy to find for me (If you know a good web site store, let me know) and I think have the equipment to do all-grain, so, would you help me describing a little more detailed procedure for brewing this one? I’ll really appreciate it, you can send that to me through private message.
Thanks a lot.

Mine ended up right around 1.017 though it doesn't taste too sweet at all. In fact if it were any drier, I think the beer might have turned out a little too thin. I mashed right around 155, so maybe the higher mash temp and the high percentage of crystal malt led to a less fermentable wort. I had the same problem with Jamil's mild recipe, though that one turned out great as well. Looking forward to this one.

You'd lose some of the esters that make British beers great, but I bet it would still be awesome!

Nottingham is really clean as British yeasts go so it won't make that much of a difference. :)

Do you typically rehydrate your dry yeast?

Ooops, that wasn't clear. What I meant was, are people rehydrating dry yeast for this recipe? Just curious because of the lower gravity.

I use Nottingham for this recipe and rehydrate. I am going to brew it again tomorrow using a starter of Fullers yeast.

Made this pretty much exactly (Notty, all-grain, etc.), based on Beersmith's 5 gal auto-conversion from the posted recipe file, about a month ago. Fantastic recipe, and clear enough to read through with the Whirlfloc tablet I threw into the boil.

Will definitely be making it regularly, and it may get a quasi-dedicated place in the kegerator. :rockin:

Thanks to Orfy for posting it! :mug:

-Rich

Brewed this Friday with a couple changes (used stuff I had on hand instead of ordering yeast and hops). Used 002that had been in my fridge since 10/11, and used willamette instead of fuggles. Grain bill stayed the same. Used my small biab system and grabbed 6g of 1.040 wort. Pulling for this to be great so I can do 15g on the big system. If not, I'll order the correct ingredients.

Fear not. It will be great. I have brewed it with Willamettes and it turned out great. And I usually use Fullers strain from a local Brewery.
Brewed this Friday with a couple changes (used stuff I had on hand instead of ordering yeast and hops). Used 002that had been in my fridge since 10/11, and used willamette instead of fuggles. Grain bill stayed the same. Used my small biab system and grabbed 6g of 1.040 wort. Pulling for this to be great so I can do 15g on the big system. If not, I'll order the correct ingredients.

Just brewed 15 gallons for a family camping trip using WLP005 harvested from an EPA two months ago, and Willamette instead of Fuggle. OG was 1.035. I read how fast this beer is ready, but seeing as how the trip is only 2 weeks away, I'm definitely pushing it. I'll be bottling also, so i don't know if I have enough time for them to carb, especially at the recommended 1.8 volumes or whatever.

Is his a recipe for quick turn around or for bottle bombs? Joking, but be careful that it is fully fermented at least before bottling.

I will... I'll do the 3 days in a row hydrometer thing (I usually just wait a month in primary and then bottle). It went from 1.035 to 1.012 in 2.5 days, so I think I'm getting down pretty quick.

grimstuff said:
I will... I'll do the 3 days in a row hydrometer thing (I usually just wait a month in primary and then bottle). It went from 1.035 to 1.012 in 2.5 days, so I think I'm getting down pretty quick.

I would cold crash as soon as you hit FG. It will clear the sucker right up before bottling.

I would cold crash as soon as you hit FG. It will clear the sucker right up before bottling.

It's finishing around 1012... to be expected with the WLP005, I guess. I can only drop the temp to 60F degrees, though, because I only have a water bath to work with. Good news is it'd pretty damn drinkable straight from the fermenter!

Just wanted to update on mine... it's been conditioning about 6 weeks now and it tastes better and better. It's my go-to lunch beer! And the 2.5-3.0% abv actually affects me more like a 4%, so it's really not an issue.

So....My LHBS only has US chocolate and crystal. They DO have Maris Otter.

Would this turn out ok? The chocolate is 500 Lov. And we're talking normal Nottingham not windsor right?

So....My LHBS only has US chocolate and crystal. They DO have Maris Otter.

Would this turn out ok? The chocolate is 500 Lov. And we're talking normal Nottingham not windsor right?

I've found Briess crystal and roasted malts to be inferior to British counterparts for English-style ales. I'm not sure about other maltsters.

For example, Fawcett Crystal II (about 57-65L) is uniformly coloured and rich in flavor. Briess crystal 60 is mottled and not uniform; it looks very much like a blend of darker and lighter crystals were blended to get the right "balance."

Most English chocolate malts are the requisite 375-450L while Briess standard chocolate comes in at a pallid 350L. If I have to use Briess chocolate, I usually have to use more or add some de-bittered black malt to color-correct.

All of this said, you will still make a lovely mild with U.S. ingredients...I would venture a guess that a large percentage of US brewers who brew this recipe use domestic specialty grains.

To your yeast question, yes, use Notty. Windsor, by many reports, takes a long time to clear, and this beer is very good very young.

Brewed this on the 26 of Oct. So tomorrow will 13 days. I cant decide if I should keg this tomorrow and have it ready for the weekend or wait another week.

Help me decide. lol:D

Brewed this on the 26 of Oct. So tomorrow will 13 days. I cant decide if I should keg this tomorrow and have it ready for the weekend or wait another week.

Help me decide. lol:D

As has been said elsewhere, this recipe drinks best when young. I know when I made it the first two weeks from the keg were the best, and after that it was merely good-to-OK.

-Rich

I'd like to give this recipe a shot this weekend, but I'm going to have to attempt it with a little bit different grains, due to availability. Would any of these be viable replacements? I tried doing some L to SRM calculations, and ordered the following grains:

Briess Chocolate Malt
Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt
Briess Caramel Malt 60L
Bairds Medium Crystal Malt

I'm also going to have to use GWM Northwest Pale Ale Malt in place of Maris Otter, not sure if that will change the above recommendation.

Which combination would you recommend? I'm not planning to use all of them, but I ordered a few pounds of each so I would have the option of choosing.

Thanks!

I'd like to give this recipe a shot this weekend, but I'm going to have to attempt it with a little bit different grains, due to availability. Would any of these be viable replacements? I tried doing some L to SRM calculations, and ordered the following grains:

Briess Chocolate Malt
Briess Caramel Malt 60L

I'm also going to have to use GWM Northwest Pale Ale Malt in place of Maris Otter, not sure if that will change the above recommendation.

Which combination would you recommend? I'm not planning to use all of them, but I ordered a few pounds of each so I would have the option of choosing.

Thanks!

Anyone? I'm running out of time.

Briess Chocolate Malt
Briess Caramel Malt 60L

Thanks!

I would go with the Baird's crystal and the Briess chocolate. If you can get an English chocolate (not pale), use that. You might add 10% more chocolate to get closer to the color of the original...Briess chocolate is obnoxiously light.
I like English specialty malts quite a bit more than Briess, across the board.

I see no problem with the base malt swap.

I would go with the Baird's crystal and the Briess chocolate. If you can get an English chocolate (not pale), use that. You might add 10% more chocolate to get closer to the color of the original...Briess chocolate is obnoxiously light.
I like English specialty malts quite a bit more than Briess, across the board.

I see no problem with the base malt swap.

Thanks for your reply. I did exactly your recommendation. I'm excited to see how this one turns out!

This is awesome.

Almost a month old here. I did force carb some 2 liters at 12 days....i think those tasted a little better, nice and "fruity". The chocolate seems to come out a little more now. Delicious.

I never topped off with water, so this is a little stronger.
OG 1.046
FG 1.009

brew 002.jpg

I just tried this one. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Ended up at 1.042 OG and 24 IBUs. Hope I taste the Notty at that gravity. I'll definitely try again to try and hit the lower gravity.

Thanks for the recipe Orfy.

I got all the ingredients for this brew last week but won’t be able to brew until tomorrow (12/21.). I was hoping to have it ready for my new years party. Do you think the beer will be drinkable in 10 days?

I got all the ingredients for this brew last week but won’t be able to brew until tomorrow (12/21.). I was hoping to have it ready for my new years party. Do you think the beer will be drinkable in 10 days?

Yes, that's what OP says.

Drinkable yes. At it's best? probably not.
It'd be a shame to kill the keg at day ten but if you have no alternativr then it's not a bad option.

Some comercial micro brewers are sending beers out at day five but then they are cellar conditioned for up to a week.

Orfy said:
Drinkable yes. At it's best? probably not.
It'd be a shame to kill the keg at day ten but if you have no alternativr then it's not a bad option.

Some comercial micro brewers are sending beers out at day five but then they are cellar conditioned for up to a week.

Thanks. I'll try kegging it early and see what happens.

I think this beer might be my 2012 MVP. It's cheap, fast, easy, and boy does it taste good.
It's flavorful, yet refreshing.

Back