Apple beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snortwheeze

Reaction score
Not sure if this is correct so if someone wants to check my math.... Not sure if this is a true beer or if is better suited for the cider forum, but I'll take my chances. So heres what I'm thinking. This will be a one gallon test batch and if I like it, I'll scale it up to 5 gallons. So one gallon and one 20 oz bottle of water, 12 oz of molasses, 2 cups of 60l Carmel breiss, 2 cups of crushed, flaked barley, 2 cans of concentrated apple juice.

Steep the breiss and barley at 155* for 1 hour
Add the molasses the last 10 mins so it dissolves completely, add this to my carboy and cool down to about 100*, at this point ill add my apple juice concentrate to cool it further. Once it gets to about 90* ill pitch my yeast
Well what do y'all think?

snortwheeze said:
Not sure if this is correct so if someone wants to check my math.... Not sure if this is a true beer or if is better suited for the cider forum, but I'll take my chances. So heres what I'm thinking. This will be a one gallon test batch and if I like it, I'll scale it up to 5 gallons. So one gallon and one 20 oz bottle of water, 12 oz of molasses, 2 cups of 60l Carmel breiss, 2 cups of crushed, flaked barley, 2 cans of concentrated apple juice.

Steep the breiss and barley at 155* for 1 hour
Add the molasses the last 10 mins so it dissolves completely, add this to my carboy and cool down to about 100*, at this point ill add my apple juice concentrate to cool it further. Once it gets to about 90* ill pitch my yeast
Well what do y'all think?

Well, it ain't beer. Those steeped grains aren't going to convert so they will only contribute a very small amount of sugar. Since you're only taking fermentables from sucrose/fructose you're going to have a very low FG, probably 1.000 or lower even, so it's going to be very dry and probably around 6% ABV. DO NOT pitch your yeast at 90 degrees. Go more like 65. I kind of have a suspicion that this is not going to make something that I would want to drink, but it may be delicious who knows.

So would you suggest more grains? I'm looking for flavor from the Carmel breiss and head retention and creaminess from the barley. I have a half pound of each on their way. The reason I ask in here is I'm wondering what you guys might add, subtract or do different. The only reason I said I would pitch my yeast at 90* is because that's what I rehydrate my yeast at. Also my yeast is Nottingham.

snortwheeze said:
So would you suggest more grains? I'm looking for flavor from the Carmel breiss and head retention and creaminess from the barley. I have a half pound of each on their way. The reason I ask in here is I'm wondering what you guys might add, subtract or do different. The only reason I said I would pitch my yeast at 90* is because that's what I rehydrate my yeast at. Also my yeast is Nottingham.

If you want caramel grain flavor I would go for something more like a graff. I would personally just use amber DME for what you're trying to accomplish. This will definitely give you some caramel flavor, and you can keep the malt too. What are you hoping to get from the molasses? Also, anything much above 72 for Nottingham and you're asking for some downright nasty flavors. That yeast does not do well hot.

Well I'm not a beer brewer (as you can tell) I have brewed 2 batches of cider, and this is just an experiment. I got hooked on cider when I tried strongbow and I'm just looking to experiment. I guess I'm just looking for more of a body, more mouthfeel and a head that doesn't disappear instantly! I know it's not a true beer or a true cider. I'm adding the molasses for some ferment able sugars. I know there will be a bunch in there already, with the concentrate and what not, so maybe ill dial that back. My main question would be how much of my grains should I use for one gallon and how long should I steep it and at what temp? If you can answer those questions for me I will crawl back into my cider hole and not Bothe thou again till I become a proper beer brewer!

You might want to search on "Back sweetening" in the cider forum. English ciders are very dry while american ciders have the sweet tart taste most of us remember. Have been thinking about a cider for the Holidays this year. So I had better get started soon.
Wheelchair Bob

Latest posts

Back