Just got my water report Help? Please??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicac2

Reaction score
I tried using brunwater but it says my water report is unbalanced. Im not sure what that means. Can anyone help me out with understanding my report?

Screen shot 2012-09-25 at 6.10.37 PM.jpg

I’m sure someone will chime in with a more detailed answer, but it means it doesn’t add up. Some ions are positive and some are negative and they have to balance. If they don’t it tells you your water report is off somewhere.

I don’t think it’s a big deal. The big thing is the alkalinity and what you might have to do get your mash and sparge pH into the ideal range. Your water isn’t terrible, but it needs a little help, especially for pales.

The water report shows it is balanced. Did you properly enter the sulfate concentration? It must be multiplied by 3 to convert it from sulfate reported as sulfur (SO4-S) to plain old sulfate concentration (SO4) that is used in the program.

The report itself says your cations are 3.1 mEq/L and you anions 3.0 mEq/L. Plugging the ions (except bicarbonate and carbonate) and alkalinity numbers into a spreadsheet assuming the end point for the alkalinity titration was 4.5 give 3.114 and 2.985 which round to 3.1 and 3.0 to one decimal place. That's much better balanced than most Ward Lab's reports!

Latest posts

Back