3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did warm for 6 days, cold crashed for 2 and kegged....fantastic.
I think going warm(or fermenting temp) for at least some time is better for dissolving the oils in the hops.

Drinking this now... Wish I had had the real deal to compare it to, but this is pretty decent! Never used this much citra before!

I was finally able to try the extract version I brewed and it is by far one of the best beers I have brewed. When compared to a newer release ZD, mine was darker possibly because of the extract and it had a lot more of a citrus/mango taste. I actually prefer it compared to the ZD and the 4 people I shared it with felt the same way in a blind test.

I was a little surprised how light the ZD looked vs the clone attempts.

My third batch eliminated the melanoidan and reduced the C40 by 1/3. The color was spot on. Anyone know the SRM of ZD?

Other notes:

Batch #1 - used a little C60 and WLP001 very nice brew
- closer to Dark Horse Crooked Tree Fermented @ 65F

Batch #2 - straight Skeezer recipe w/ WLP051 - slow ferment but amazing flavor. Still a little darker than present day ZD. Fermented @ 65F

Batch #3 - dropped the melanoidan and used SAF04 yeast. Best version so far. Fermented @ 63F I may convert all my IPA recipies to SAF04.:mug:

I had zombie dust for the first time last week when i was in chicago....fell in love, i came back to texas and theres no way i can find it anywhere down here, so time to take matters into my own hands...that being said this thread is 57 pages long...can anyone direct me to the latest recipe I plan on brewing it this weekend or next weekend in, a mini-mash brew if possible

I'm happy with how mine came out...is there anyway to decrease the cloudiness? I guess dryhopping with 3 oz's makes that slightly impossible. I whirlpooled and autosiphoned the kettle and judiciously autosiphoned into the keg and still got no clarity...

http://imgur.com/zcV0l

I am brewing this excellent beer for a second time, the wifey says it needs to be the house beer and she isn't even a hop fan. On an earlier post Skeezer said you can use 4.75lbs of 2row and drop the extract to 3lbs. If I compare buying 5 lbs of crushed 2 row at $9.20 or 3lbs of DME for $11.99, is it worth the savings? Will the finished product taste any better? I'm steeping for an hour anyway so I'm not adding any work anyway except that I would dunk the grain bag in 170F (another kettle) for 10 minutes and add that sparge to the wort. My other question is for the FWH, would you just add that once the gran bag is out and you are starting to bring the wort to a boil (maybe 10 minutes)? Thanks again Skeezer for such a great beer!

nuttermcbutter said:
I am brewing this excellent beer for a second time, the wifey says it needs to be the house beer and she isn't even a hop fan. On an earlier post Skeezer said you can use 4.75lbs of 2row and drop the extract to 3lbs. If I compare buying 5 lbs of crushed 2 row at $9.20 or 3lbs of DME for $11.99, is it worth the savings? Will the finished product taste any better? I'm steeping for an hour anyway so I'm not adding any work anyway except that I would dunk the grain bag in 170F (another kettle) for 10 minutes and add that sparge to the wort. My other question is for the FWH, would you just add that once the gran bag is out and you are starting to bring the wort to a boil (maybe 10 minutes)? Thanks again Skeezer for such a great beer!

I am glad you and the wife like the beer. If you can maintain a steady temp for an hour, the grain would save some $, but that is really expensive for 2row though (I pay $28 for 50lbs). If you do go with the grain it shouldn't taste much different, if at all. I would just put the FWH in the first pot when you remove the grains to sparge them.

Ok, I fell in love with this at the brewpub last week and went to get a case only to find out it was sold out. It was a long and depressing trip back to PA! I assume after trying to read half of the thread that I need to follow the recipe from post #1 using s-04, correct?

Now I just have to find citra! anyone know of any sources right now?

Hey Tieflyer, I got mine at Weaknee HBS in Pottstown. That was about a month ago, but they usually have a good suppy, and are very nice people. I'm not a big fan of Universal carbonics, but they might have it also.

What are people's thoughts on mashing low and using WLP002 for this beer? Attenuation isn't my question, as 002 does fine if the mash temp is good a low, my question is more the ester profile?

Both are very close to the original ZD. The difference is not that big, The 1968 had a bit more body, maybe fruitiness, but didn't attenuate as well. I would mash lower when i use it again.

Here's mine! i posted it earlier but the pic did not show up
zcV0l.jpg

About to brew this using the extract recipe. Everything i have read suggests that one should not steep Munich and Melanoiden - what are other folks doing when brewing this in extract form?

Also the OG comes out very low when steeping these, is a partial mash required? Will these grains even mash without the addition of a base?

Decided to bite the bullet and cut out 1lb of dme, add in 2lbs of 2 row in addition to the other grains and try a mini mash / BIAB with batch sparge. Wish me luck, only second brew ever..... Gulp.... At least the predicted 100 degree heat will help me maintain mash temp outside tomorrow!

Forgot to update.. this brew was by far the best I've made ever! All of my friends loved it too!!
It's going to be on tap always..

I brewed it today, my mini-mash missed by a mile so I ended up using more DME than anticipated but I had a good time and I have a bucket full of something that will probably still taste awesome!

J-Pizzel said:
Just noticed this on Austin Homebrew Supply (AHS?), how similar are they? AHS is a 3F IPA....

The three floyds extra pale ale? If so, i doubt it is the same. They don't list the hops or grain, but i would bet it doesnt have citra or the grain bill based on their price.

Good night does that S-04 yeast ferment fast. I had a ton of nonstop activity only a few hours after going into the fermenter (and I just dumped the dry yeast on foam in fermenter!). After ~36 hours the activity has slowed to an occasional burp and the krausen has fallen back down. I am going to give it a day or so and take a reading on it.

Ended up mashing really low around 149. og 1.056. After adding two packets of rehydrated s04 and fermentation around 63 degrees for two weeks. I got my fg around 1.006. Tastes amazing and cant wait to dry hop. Thanks for the great recipe!

eaterfg.jpg

thinking about brewing a slightly modified version of this. what do you think about subbing vienna for the munich to bring the SRM down a bit?

Its been a week since I brewed this, finished fermenting in a few days but let it sit a bit longer before measuring and dry hopping. Finished at 1.012 with S-04 (OG of 1.061)

The taste is very mild at this point, no hop flavor or bitterness at all and a bit sour/tart at the end. Added the 3oz for Dry Hopping but really worried about the lack of desired flavor at this point - I am positive I missed no hop additions and hope its not infected.

I guess we shall see in a few weeks. Are there any legitimate reasons that there would be a tart/sour taset after 8 days other than an infection of some sort?

So I'm finally getting to brew this bad boy tomorrow.

I'm wondering about the mash temp. At 154 this grain bill seems to finish pretty sweet at 1.018.

Is everyone comfortable with that FG?

What yeast are you using?

I used wyeast 1968 and mashed at 149-150. Finished at 1.015

There beer was incredible and it was not around long.

Next time I'm going with 04.. mainly because I have some on hand.

I'm using s04.

My instinct says to mash this guy at 151 and scale back the OG just a touch.

I've only used s04 once though, so I can't vouch for Beersmith's attenuation estimates.

Just transfered to the secondary on the extract version. I did a full boil but had a lot boil off and ended up with a high OG of 1.074. It finished it 1.023. Only 69% attenuation with S-04, but nothing I could do would start it up to finish off the remaining bit. I guess I could have just had some unfermentables in there from something. Any thoughts?

Finally tried this after brewing and sitting 3 weeks using the original extract version. LOVE this stuff and would absolutly brew this again

I used Pale Malt instead of 2 row -how do you think that will turn out? Also, i couldn't hit your OG in my software with the grain bill - I had to up the pale malt (or 2 row) to like 12.25lbs. I think my OG was approx 1.062, been fermenting for almost 2 weeks, and I plan to dry hop for another week. Do you rack to a secondary for your dry hop? When do you typically add your dry hops (1, 2 wks in)? excited to try this - I've never had the original either.

Latest posts

Back